Jardine's way

allthumbs

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree completely with your opinion. Go spend some time, and I mean real time - several months continuously, hiking. You'll find that your body gets pretty tough, your comparison base changes, and that you're so filthy that comfort is a relative concept. For me, walking 30 miles in tennis shoes with a 15lb pack was much more comfortable than doing 16 miles with 35lbs. For long hikes (AT, PCT, CDT) you're going to need to average 16 or more miles per day to finish in a reasonable time frame (i.e. before it gets nasty cold). I did 450 miles with a 37lb pack and the following year did 1600 miles with a 17lb pack. I'd never go back to carrying more for long hikes. For weekends, I carry tons of comfort stuff, I chalk it up as conditioning. After a week or two, you'll start getting rid of stuff anyway, and by the time you get 400 miles under your feet you'll have probably send home everything that you can. That still leaves most folks with 30lbs, making the extra-step is what Jardine advocates and it works. Comfort was not even slightly an issue, in fact deprivation made small comforts that much better. Getting to lounge in a double-thick thermarest chair-kit one night courtesy of some weekenders was something I'll always remember. And dude, if you're having trouble sleeping because you're uncomfortable wearing all your clothes...hike farther. I was usually so bushed by the time I did my miles and chores that all I could do was puff a nug and crash. I even stopped carrying reading materials as I never had time to mess with them. I will say that when I worked an adjudicated youth wilderness program I carried closer to 40lbs but we never hiked more than 10-12 miles per day over moderate ground.

I met a dude who had made most of his gear from Tyvek (a house wrap and envelope material that's waterproof/breathable). It's super light and tough...he had a pack, insulated bivy-sack, poncho...and not much else...dude was also walking barefoot

On the Annapurna Circuit you can roll the buds in the leaves of the plant and make yourself a giant blunt... I hear you can do that in some southeastern national parks too just watch out for the fish hooks dangling at eye level and growers with big guns and knives shocked.gif

Yeah Cavey, I'm talkin to you...

What happened to your morals? Last week you were about to kill Dale cause he knows some guy that added bolts to some stupid peice of choss in Tumwater.

Now your hero is a guy who took a hammer and chisel to The Nose. Wassup' sucka...

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 07-18-2001).]

Let's put this in the open Lammy. Dale and others hide the identity of the people that bolted that thing. I simply stated who I was and what I intend to do. Meanwhile Dale is cursing at me at first posting *that is very ok for him but not for me?* we emailed afterwards once or twice but he is as stubborn as I . Chop Chop .. Anyway as far as Jardine I dont condone his chipping. I was simply stating that his life after climbing looks pretty enjoyable and I hope mine turns out that good...

well bone, never heard any of the trad klaner's support jardine. just puttin up some comments. then again he pushed the limits just like your french super boulderer's, chip..chip.....

and i even heard that your boyhood hero krista sharma just sent his biographie into to be published calling it .15a......i can feel the strength flowing into my body.......

quote:

Originally posted by specialed:

Will: what variety of ultra-light parafenalia did you bring along? Titanium pipe, plastic bong? Rolling doobies would be the lightest way to go, eh?

Metal, she is bad for zee health, especially zee aluminum, she eees very very bad for Papa. That was one area where I splurged, cut the handle off my toothbursh to make up for carrying the ounce of herb, and left the reading material and extra headlamp batteries that it inevitably requires out to make up for the glass. Somethings just aren't open for compromise (Guess I could have even brought the bubbler, but I knew it would get broken)

tom brown! now bone i never knew you were so verused in the out-of-doors! did you know john j at msu, he lived out at the "ranch". then again i would have to say half of brown's stuff is of peyote fantasy.....but in the end his message is clear, you fuck with the earth she will come back and get you!

Yeah, don't carry food, go the Euell Gibbons way... doesn't work so hot in deserts though. Choking down those cactus chunks on a 40 degree Celsius day, you aint gonna be hiking too fast.

It's better for the land not to live off the land when you visit the wilderness. Leave that stuff for when you are behind enemy lines wink.gif

Ray's ideas (along with many others) helped me to reduce my pack weight a great deal and I'm very thankful for this.

But when he starts talking about cutting off labels - c'mon. Ray got pretty fanatical about those "metal label" put on shoes/boots - I'm sure he means the Gore-Tex ones. There comes a point where these fractions of ounces don't add up to crap!

Read the prior thread about ways to cut pack weight... Yossarian had it when he said, "Remove all body hair, clip all nails, see a doctor about having tonsiles and appendix removed, relieve yourself frequently..." I believe if you spit once, you will ultimately weigh altogether less than if you cut off a label. And Pope's idea is even better, "Try taking a crap and a leak BEFORE you start the approach..." I mean, think about how much that weighs...

All in all, great concept - but (as with anything) can be taken to fanatical extremes.

Ray has built a religion out of it.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

RE: Brother Jardine:

Does one need to accept and endorse the totality of someone's life and career to admire a part of it? What kind of sloppy thinking is that? I personally think Ray Jardine's chipping of the Nose was an utter atrocity. On the other hand, I am capable of admiring his revolutionary approach to light wilderness travel. Would most of you want to be judged for the rest of your life for your lamer moments? Or would you like to be known for your more positive accomplishments? I don't wholly endorse every aspect of "the Ray Way" (e.g. his corn pasta fanaticism) but he's taught me a lot of good things. Even the best people make mistakes from time to time, eh?

Do you use "Friends" or similar devices? You can thank Ray or you can refuse to buy cams because "The Chipper" was the innovator.

I'll gratefully use the dang "Friends" AND be disappointed in the eccentric genius for his more dubious activities. I've even got a couple of old pals who are masters of the bolt drill, but I still like them as friends even though I find their bolting behavior obscene. I can separate the two, although I encourage them to change their "evil" ways.

So, carry those 50 pound packs if you want, you studs. I'm going to bag a series of peaks with my Camelback, adventure racing shoes, and a pair of collapsable Leki's.

- Dwayner

Jardine's way sucks. Talk about uncomfortable. If you're a power walker, okay. For those wanting to spend some time in the bush and not travel 40 miles a day, carry more, suffer less, walk less. I don't know about you but my idea of a good time isn't wearing every goddamned piece of gear I have to sleep in (including clothes, backpack, garbage bags,moss, whatever... The guy is a freak.

Dwayner, come here for a moment, sit down over here my friend. First of all, I never commented on my thoughts about Jardines actions, nor did I judge or critisize him in any way. Look at what I posted; the only person I was judging was Cpt. Caveman who seems to have forgoton how much he hates people who scar the rock.

Second, you mention a "revolutionary approach to light wilderness travel". What! Come on man, you grew up with John Muir, didn't he ever take you up into the mountains and show you how to live with a half a loaf of bread and a wool blanket? Jardine is reinventing the wheel. And if he hadn't invented cams, I would have! he,he,he

Erik, as far as my Tom Brown plug: what can I say, I was a Boy Scout. And a buddy of my studied under Brown for a while. As far as John J. from the "ranch" in Bozeman... You got a picture? I knew a bunch of Johns, and half of 'em lived on so called "ranches". It is the thing to call your house in Montana. Everyones got one...