Ways to cut pack weight?

Rodchester

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! You want some first class tips on how to move light in the outdoors? Check out the following book written by Ray Jardine, the climber who invented "Friends". He's done the PCT three times and his pack weighed less than 9 pounds on his third trip. He has a whole philosophical approach to long-distance lightweight hiking that's somewhat eccentric but well worth considering. A friend of mine followed "The Ray Way" and did the PCT completely across Oregon wearing tennis shoes, and with a pack made out of a large stuff bag that weighed nothing...no tent (just a tarp) and no sleeping bag. They were comfortable the whole time and made a lot of daily mileage. Here's the book (they should have it at REI):

"Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardine's guide to lightweight hiking." My copy was published in 2000 by AdventureLore Press.

A lot of this stuff is transferable to mountaineering, too.

- Dwayner

Razor blade instead of knife. First Aid? What can you REALLY do anyway??? Think about it. Screw sterilized, it won't be anyway out there. Bandaids, Ace bandage, and Aleve.

Jansport sells a damn book bag weighing under two pounds at Campmor. Thing costs $60. I've used it for climb/bivys of Prusik, Sherpa/Stuart, and Adams north side.

All of this is for an objective with comfort being left at the car.

Being in shape would help too. If hiking close to water sources, don't carry water.

Waterproof socks double as mitts. 9.6 rope, wired biners, tri-cams instead of cams. Snow Peak Giga Power stove weighs 3.5 ounces and comes with auto-igniter. Fuel weighs as little as 4 ounces, 22 biggest I think.

Beyond that, start dolling out the money.

When are they gonna come out with the titanium helmet that you can cook/melt in too?

Ray Jardine's is the most comprehensive and technically oriented text. It's also spendy.

The 2oz Backpacker

Robert S Wood

Much cheaper and much much quicker read (meaning you're far more likely to read and learn and use..... Jardine's tome takes months of boring hours every weekend to plow through.......)

• 3 weeks later...