• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
EWolfe

Toproping: The Disease of Climbing?

What has bothered me about top-roping is the somewhat common scenario of someone hanging a rope on a route and leaving it there, like a jacket or purse on a chair, as if they now own the route.

We all toproped at one time. I'm proud that you can now lead the 5.7 that the newbs are leaving their ropes on.

:fahq:

Second that Fenderfour. When some one puts something up I can't lead I still top rope it. I don't think top rope is the only thing. People taking thier sweet time getting on and off climbs is more of an issue. Talk when you are not at the base of the climb. Not when you are gearing up or getting ready to second it. I hate having to be a dick and have to drop big hints that I am wanting to get on the route.

Maybe you should try someplace that is less crowded and not right off the road. Thick cascade brush and long hikes always seem to weed out most of the competition.

We all toproped at one time.

Right. All except G-spotter. He went right from the birth canal to the sharp end. What a tool.

Last year all the moons & planets aligned and Flying Circus at the Bluffs was actually sans toprope!!!! ...of course by the time I was half way up someone's head poked over the top looking to drop their rope down.

Top roping is a great way to be introduced to climbing. But when a person wants to learn how to climb, they are ready to lead.

I've recently rediscovered top roping. I've been doing too much leading. My climbing skills have increased and my confidence on lead has increased.

If you top rope something really hard, at your limit, then back off a grade or two when you go on lead, it seems a lot easier.

I've recently rediscovered top roping. I've been doing too much leading. My climbing skills have increased and my confidence on lead has increased.

If you top rope something really hard, at your limit, then back off a grade or two when you go on lead, it seems a lot easier.

You need to climb with Jens more :tup: :tup:

People taking thier sweet time getting on and off climbs is more of an issue.

No kidding. Two true stories:

1) I was waiting to get on a climb that was being top roped. The climbers knew I was waiting to get on the climb but proceeded to take a lunch break between climbers. :mad:

2) Patiently waiting to get on a climb being top roped. Again, the climbers knew I was waiting. After they both finish, I was informed that they would be making "2nd tries". :anger:

But, there are thoughtless assholes in any field of endeavour, not just top roping.

I agree with CBS that top-roping can be a valuable tool to excelerate learning in a lower risk environment (compared to on lead). Top roping has its place.

Bsatch, I think that I saw this movie.

Didn't the dudes also have dogs? The bitch ate your lunch and the stud pissed on your pack and had his way with your girlfriend?

Saw it. Pretty sure. I think That the dude who played in the Matrix starred in it. Keono Reeves. Yeah.

Next time just politely walk over - grab their ropes and say "you mind"?

Then jump on their rope.