Stealing fixed draws

manimal

Someone stole my draws off king of the ruins in vantage sometime in the past week. They were obviously project draws, not gear left behind when someone bailed. If the person responsible would put them back up, or at least set them at the base, that would be appreciated. Either that or any information on who took 'em. I'm just pissed that someone would jack my stuff, totally a bogus move. They were up for less than ten days, tops.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thieves will certainly have some bad climbing karma coming!

If you are reading this and have the draws, wait until you are six feet out from one of them and remember this thread. You'll blow the crux thinking about my post even if the draw or biner doesn't break over an edge that time.

Someone stole my draws off king of the ruins in vantage sometime in the past week. They were obviously project draws, not gear left behind when someone bailed. If the person responsible would put them back up, or at least set them at the base, that would be appreciated. Either that or any information on who took 'em. I'm just pissed that someone would jack my stuff, totally a bogus move. They were up for less than ten days, tops.
This isn't Chris or Mike is it? Regardless, sorry about your draws, I hope someone does the right thing.

It's f-ing lame to steal gear whether you are in vantage or smith. The reason I left them fixed is that the route is steep enough that cleaning the draws is a fair amount of work (it's entirely overhung with a big roof). Also, once the draws are up it's easier to clip and go, something a weak, skinny guy like me can appreciate. I realize some people may have "ethical" reason's not to do this, be it pinkpoint or whatever, but that's your deal not mine.

Lots of consulation going on here, but consider this:

How about some "leave little trace" ethic?

How about picking up your mess before you leave?

It's like leaving your tent in your favorite free camp spot all week so it will be there for you next weekend.

It's ugly and selfish.

I'd be tempted to take the quick draws down and post a message where they could be retrieved or just throw them in the garbage as abandoned litter.

You probably rappeled down to place them in the first place; how about rappeling down to remove them after your big day at Vantage? The guys who took them were obviously capable of doing it!

You're working hard to climb the route; work a little harder to keep the place a little nicer. "Ya, dude, but...it's my "project"!"...you can think that, but it's not your rock.

By the way, I didn't take your quick-draws...I have an allergy to most sport-climbing venues. I hope you get them back but I also hope you don't leave them hanging anymore.

Main%20Mr%20T.jpg

Lots of consulation going on here, but consider this:

How about picking up your mess before you leave?

It's like leaving your tent in your favorite free camp spot all week so it will be there for you next weekend.

It's ugly and selfish.

I'd be tempted to take the quick draws down and post a message where they could be retrieved or just throw them in the garbage as abandoned litter.

You probably rappeled down to place them in the first place; how about rappeling down to remove them after your big day at Vantage? The guys who took them were obviously capable of doing it!

You're working hard to climb the route; work a little harder to keep the place a little nicer. "Ya, dude, but...it's my "project"!"...you can think that, but it's not your rock.

By the way, I didn't take your quick-draws...I have an allergy to most sport-climbing venues. I hope you get them back but I also hope you don't leave them hanging anymore.

Main%20Mr%20T.jpg

*yawn*

and that concludes the psychotic portion of our programming...

Bang any pins in recently?

*yawn*

How about contributing something of substance to this discussion?

No, I haven't. Is that even relevant? Again...something of substance? Show us you're not just another guy on the internet with a big sassy mouth.

Ben-and-his-BIG-mouth.jpg

*yawn*

How about contributing something of substance to this discussion?

No, I haven't. Is that even relevant? Again...something of substance? Show us you're not just another guy on the internet with a big sassy mouth.

Ben-and-his-BIG-mouth.jpg

well, dwayner, i think the use of pins is completely trashy, scars the rock far worse than bolts whether they are removed or not (actually, especially if they are removed)...is that clear enough for yourself to understand my point? I understand that you choose pins over bolts...well, if that's so, then its the same damn thing except worse...

I think it is lame someone stole your gear. But, the reality is sometimes difficult to swallow. You left you gear in a public place. Would you be pissed if you left them at the base of the route in a pile and someone stole them? What’s the difference? I am not trying to troll you. Just trying to make a point. Sorry about your gear. I would be pissed too!

If you pulled the draws but not the bolts and hangers, then you're only doing a half-assed job at "Leave little trace."

Oh, wait. Half ass. Dwayner.

Who's the fool?

Some of the Trd-itionalists are obviously out of touch with basic common sense/ethics with regards to sport climbing (may be an oxymoron). It is widely accepted and acceptable to leave draws on steep, weather protected climbs that an individual is workling. Most climbers when doing routes above.12s will leave draws up for a long time. Go to almost any sport-climbing area in the country and you will find this to be true. There are already bolts there, what more damage is one doing to the rock when leaving draws up there?

The other point is that the people who stole these draws obviously are climbers. Most people, Raindawg, do ot rappel to hang draws but climb the route, placing draws from the ground up and then work the route with the draws in place. The fact that these werre climbers and not some meth heads who took the gear is even worse. I'd keep alookout for your draws when you are out there to see if other climbers have them. Bad karma all around. I saw a fight break out over this very issue at Foster Falls in TN. Lets just say the 19 year old punk who stole the draws off a .13d got the crap beat out of him and is rope taken......I guess what goes around, comes around.