Entitlement

archenemy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ego?

It's possible to go out and take something that is not yours out of desperation (I am thinking of the starving family scenario here).

Or youthful folly?

Or greed?

But entitlement seems to be a catagory all its own--not that it doesn't include aspects of the aforementioned options, but it does seem particularly descriptive of a pervasive attitude in the US.

Ego?

It's possible to go out and take something that is not yours out of desperation (I am thinking of the starving family scenario here).

Or youthful folly?

Or greed?

But entitlement seems to be a catagory all its own--not that it doesn't include aspects of the aforementioned options, but it does seem particularly descriptive of a pervasive attitude in the US.

it comes from attachement to posessions, requiring a constant refill. being 'spoiled'.stealing is entitlement, misplaced. spray is also. i can, therefore i do.

paris hiton is princess of said.seecocks is entitled to 'his' opinion.

that article reminded me of something that happened a couple of years ago. i was in this bookstore and somone's precious little Snotleigh was beating the holy hell out of a hard cover book that he picked off of a shelf. his mom was nowhere to be seen so i looked down at him and said 'hey, stop doing that. that's not yours'. kid looked at me like no one had ever told him no before. the kicker was his mom tracked me down in the store a minute later and read me the riot act about how i wasn't supposed to speak to her child like that blah blah blah wah wah wah zzzzzzzzz (insect buzzing sound)......

i guess she was over drinking coffee and reading magazines for free and was just upset about having her 10 quiet minutes out of her day disturbed.

that article reminded me of something that happened a couple of years ago. i was in this bookstore and somone's precious little Snotleigh was beating the holy hell out of a hard cover book that he picked off of a shelf. his mom was nowhere to be seen so i looked down at him and said 'hey, stop doing that. that's not yours'. kid looked at me like no one had ever told him no before. the kicker was his mom tracked me down in the store a minute later and read me the riot act about how i wasn't supposed to speak to her child like that blah blah blah wah wah wah zzzzzzzzz (insect buzzing sound)......

i guess she was over drinking coffee and reading magazines for free and was just upset about having her 10 quiet minutes out of her day disturbed.

I bet you each of us has had an interaction like this before, or at least witnessed a child's temper tantrum that was beyond belief. I wonder what is going to happen to these little shits when reality strikes. They are just going to fall apart. They've never been told no, never been ridiculed, and never played dodgeball. Man, they are fucked.

I was in Top 10 Toys the other day and this little girl with Shirley Temple curls was screaming and knocking all the Barbie accessories off the shelf, so I crouched down in front of her and said in a gentle, re-assuring voice "Let's go find Mommy". She continued to scream the whole time, but followed. Fortunately, the dumpster lid was already open so I was able to fling her in with a single sweeping motion. I quickly closed and chained the lid shut. As I walked back into the store and past a really frantic looking woman I could hear faint, tinny whimpers fading into quiet snuffles.

Half of Mrs. Selkirk's job is breaking down criminals sense of entitlement. For a large portion of her several thousand criminal cases there seems to be a very deep rooted belief for them that just because "I'm me, I deserve to have the absolute best of anything I want", and that my deserving it means it's ok to acquire it in whatever fashion is easiest, regardless of legality or who gets hurt in the process. Some of them just don't seem to get that you have earn it just like everyone else.

On a related note.....

More info on narcissim of College Students

my two boys have thrown exactly one tantrum apiece...they've figured out that dad and mom can throw a wobbler back at them that far exceeds anything they can dish out...

well, i think perhaps you're a tad bit on the lucky side too. my kid has thrown more than his share of tantrums, publicly embarrassed me and annoyed other people. h/e that doesn't mean that i hadn't drawn the line. he was just more stubborn about accepting his inability to get what he wants.

i think the key is that he doesn't win them. now that he's older, he's a great kid that behaves himself, mostly does what he's asked with a normal amount of pre-teen grousing, still hugs his mom, opens doors for strangers and says thank you.

i think it's a gross oversimplification to say that tantrums in younger children is a reflection of an unhealthy sense of entitlement.

From what I've heard, tantrums reflect an unhealthy sense of being 2 years old.

My grandfather, cantankerous Archie Bunker type that he was, once while observing a 2 year throwing a tantrum at a nearby table in a restaurant, summed it up perfectly:

Cutting the parents in half with his deadpan stare:

"what that kid needs is a

good, swift, BEATING!!!!"