Nanda Devi, CIA, nuclear device, Seattle climber

Buckaroo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article that Pete Takeda wrote recently in R&I. Kind of eery that they found higher than normal radiation levels in the Ganges :crazy:
If there is higher radiation levels in the Ganges, I doubt it would be from the plutonium reactor buried in the Nanda Devi glacier. The huge dilutions involved would reduce radiation to background. More likely radiation would be as a result of mining activity.

The article did say that plutonium 239 was detected with 95% certainty in coarse sediments from the waters of the Sanctuary. Likely ICP-MS was used for this test. It is extremely sensitive.

So much for the dudes vow of secrecy. Tom Frost rules.
Secrecy is important, if there is a good reason for it. There is no longer a reason to protect those old secrets. In fact, it does more harm than good. There needs to be a public discussion about whether steps are needed to protect the Ganges from plutonium.

The radioisotope thermalectectric generators (RTGs) use to power spy devices used plutonium 238, not plutonium 239. Pu-238 is a non-fissile isotope that produces strong alpha radiation and large amounts of heat. A walnut-sized sphere of Pu-238 oxide glows red hot, putting out about 60 watts of thermal energy, and can do so for a long time (still puts out 30 watts after 35 years). Unfortunately, Pu-238 is an extremely proficient cancer producer if inhaled. Its considered on of the top ten most lethal substances known.

The Pu-239 that was measured in the river was likely the result of atmospheric bomb testing in the 1950s. That fallout is still being detected.

Those two isotopes exist. Both are man-made. Pu(238) is the preferred isotope for generators. Pu(239) is used in weapons. Pu(244) is the naturally occurring isotope with an 80 million year half-life.

300px-Plutonium_ring.jpg

I fell in to a ring of fire...

I fell in to a burning ring of fire

I went down, down, down

And the flames went higher.

And it burns, burns, burns

The ring of fire

The ring of fire.