[TR] Mt. Washington, NH - Pinnacle Gully 3/24/2007

Trip: Mt. Washington, NH - Pinnacle Gully

Date: 3/24/2007

Trip Report:

This was my first time to Mt. Washington (NH). The weather was perfect: Temps in the 40's and low winds. The approach was cake, hiking up a well packed snow cat trail. We had to wait in line for about a half an hour. I knew that climbs in Huntington Ravine were popular, but I've never climbed in an alpine environment with so many people. The climb itself was awesome. Four pitches of ice up to WI3 (most of it was WI2). Great climb. This was my last climb out east before I head back to WA for some real alpine in the Cascades. I'm too lazy to post pictures here, but you can go to my blog and see some http://alpinistandrew.blogspot.com/2007/03/mt.html

Approach Notes:

Easy. Follow packed snow cat trail for 2-3 hours into Huntington Ravine

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. I haven't been to Huntington's for eons, but when I was about twelve my buddy and I started scrambling up the Pinnacle (in summer conditions) and decided maybe we better retreat when we started seeing pitons all around us. The Presidentials are cool!

Yeah, things are a little more compact here on the east coast. Good to see you came into Huntingtons while you were here. Looks like you got a rare good weather day too, (explains the crowds)

Whenever I go there I think of Fritz Weissner, Brad Washburn and the old boys of the Harvard Mountaineering club way back when they were chopping steps up that ravine. There's a long history there. Of course I'm glad to have my curved tools, ice srews, and forged front points, but still it's cool to climb in one of the little cradles of American alpinism.

I did Pinnacle in the early 70's. It was over Thanksgiving. As best I can remember we were alone on the mountain. It wasn't real cold but was total whiteout when we got to the alpine meadow. We thought we could just keep going up to hit the auto road. It was very disorienting. We stumbled around for a long time till we got to the top.