Fly Fishing anyone?

eclipse179

So I searched for fish and nothing came up. I know that there are many fly fishing sites out there, but any any of you fly fishers? Where do yo suggest getting to to make some casts? I have heard that alpine fish are nasty little guys and for the size put a wicked fight. I am a big supporter of barbless catch and release so don't worry about destroying stock. Any suggestions?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a while before the high lakes melt out. It is primo steelhead fishing right now! We floated the Nestucca yesterday and landed two steelies on the fly, one wild and one hatchery....Then the spring flyfishing comes in on the major rivers like the Deschutes and Yakima. Then late summer is high lakes time....

The Pasayten Wilderness Area, some lakes I've fished and climbed in the same trip are Cathederal Lakes, Remmel Lake and 3-points Lake offer some good flyfishing. Nothing big 8-12 inches, but a great area with lots of peak bagging as well.

The problem with flyfishing web sites is they are very protective of their secret spots. I'm not worried about the Pasayten because it is a long drive and a long hike so not likely to get a lot of pressure.

I've been monitoring Washington flyfishers web site.

So I searched for fish and nothing came up. I know that there are many fly fishing sites out there, but any any of you fly fishers? Where do yo suggest getting to to make some casts? I have heard that alpine fish are nasty little guys and for the size put a wicked fight. I am a big supporter of barbless catch and release so don't worry about destroying stock. Any suggestions?

washingtonflyfishing.com

I post as Archenemy there as well. Good site, lots of info.

I was a little anxious this weekend and brought my Sage out to Index. Of course, the Sky went into flood stage for the second time this month. I watched the water rise and left early b/c I was afraid my bridge would wash out and I'd get stuck. Levels went back down yesterday though.

I'll go fishing with you though if you are looking for a fishing buddy. I generally go out after work now that it's light longer. I'll go by E38 b/c I can get a little climbing in too. PM me if you are game.

Thanks for the help, I will probably wait it out and see what happens after the lakes warm up. Untill I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for some spots - all of which will probably be not so secret since I climb, hike and fish were tons of other people do too (Seattle and north).

There are a number of subalpine lakes that are good to go in June when the season opens. Check the regs for season opening dates. The best season is July-September with Sept being the best month thanks to less mosquitos.

WFF.com has very little in the way of alpine lake fishing topics.

Instead try the Washington Trailblazers

http://www.watrailblazers.org/

and the Hilakers

http://www.hilakers.org/

They are both run by climbers.

Edited by Tony_Bentley

There are plenty of fish up in the Alpine Lakes. I know a spot or two where you can catch some 14 inchers. One of the best lakes I have ever been to was a small pond (1 acre) at 4300 feet. I caught 4 12 inch rainbows in 5 casts with a nice spinner.

Probably the best part of fishing up high is that you are alone out there, generally. I wouldn't say that most of the guys in the hilakers or trailblazers are climbers, but there are a good portion that do some peakbagging.

I also try to mix climbing with fishing sometimes.

• 1 month later...
There are a number of subalpine lakes that are good to go in June when the season opens. Check the regs for season opening dates. The best season is July-September with Sept being the best month thanks to less mosquitos.

WFF.com has very little in the way of alpine lake fishing topics.

Instead try the Washington Trailblazers

http://www.watrailblazers.org/

and the Hilakers

http://www.hilakers.org/

They are both run by climbers.

They are?

I'm a Trail Blazer and an ex-Hi-Laker, and I don't think that's correct. I can't even think who you might be talking about.

Back on topic: practically anywhere there is a spot of blue in the high country is also a place to catch fish. If you want to hit low lakes this time of year, the bason lakes in Eastern Washington are in, and there are several lakes in the Hancock Tree Farm in the North Fork Snoqualmie area that have fish in them. Both areas are open now.

Well, Mick Scott and Mike Swayne from the TB run the show for the most part and I know Sandy has climbed stuff. Mike did the first ascent of the North Face of Terror, Willis Wall and a few other firsts. Mick has a baby now but he has climbed a bunch of routes. I can't remember anyone from the HL but when I was a member the board always spoke of climbing. I dropped out a long time ago so maybe this has changed.

Oh got it Tony. Yeah a lot of the TBs are, or were active in sports besides fishing. It's just not "run by climbers" so far as I know. A lot of the places the TBs get into might raise the hair of your average hiker.

Several of the HLs under the age of 80 are also TBs.