The best OW's from Squamish to Smith

chris

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Got a good look at Pipeline when we did Birds of Prey. Someday I really want to be in shape to go back to that thing.

Cirque of the uncrackables has a number of good OW's, and other BURLY climbs. We spent a day up there getting our asses kicked, and ended up sore for at least 3 days.

Scimitar, 5.11, I shamelessly liebacked and dogged my sorry but up it.

March of the Kitchen Utensiles, 5.9, my first true spanking by an OW I couldn't blame on the rating, just that I sucked.

Ivan Meets GI Joe, 10a, not an OW. I replaced the bolts on this a few days after we did it, they were scare ass rusty Leaper's. No funkness required to get the old ones out...

Bop Till You Drop, not OW, but burly fun overhung fistjams through the lip, followed by a steadily narrowing crack down to fingers by the anchor. Burly.

Also not OW, but fun when waiting in line at Smith, Rattlesnake Chimney. Worth it for the look on peoples faces alone.

How is the 2nd pitch on Aries an OW? It takes #2 Camalots and is perfect hands.:)

As my girlfriend just pointed out, people's hand size plays a huge role in deciding what qualifies as OW. For her, #1 is hands, #2 is fist, and #3 starts OW...I'm like you, #2-hands, #3-fist, and +3 starts OW.

Your climbs are added to The List.

Blake, enough alpine out of you. No one is going to hike hours to climb a multipitch route just to climb the OW pitch at the top!

When I think of offwidths I would exclude climbs that are off-hands or off-fist. Those climbs are too subjective. Too me really offwidths there is alway thruthing and scumming involved no matter how big or small your mitts are.