New Beacon Master Topo!

wayne

when there's no climbing to be had at beacon in the winter there's little else to do about bitch about how folks will be climbing at beacon in the summer

it'd be cool if they could paste the new topo on the sides of all trains roaring by - you get lost/confused, just hang out till the next one passes...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that woman! :lmao:

I've noticed that the best climbers show up occasionally on the net if at all. I suspect they are out climbing while the rest of us are running around chewing on each other but have been unable to verify this so far.

Oh...true, true, and by the way I offer a second on bills nomination and now the motion is up for discussion.

Furthermore, I would like to thanks bill for adding a sense of reason and humor to a heated debate that really got the oregon climbing community nowhere fast.

Ok This discussion is great except for the attacks on Tim . No he is not easy to get to know . It took ten years for me.

Tim is quirky yes, but he is one of the best people I have ever met, for many reasons I wont even go into. Thats all I have to say on that.

As for the other much less important issues. Just go climb there,and be helpful to the people who go there. I have seen and participated in a few rescues there, and I belive more info is better. This planet is going to burn up too soon anyways to deny the joy this place will bring to folks, so Chill good folk.

Yeah it's strange, I finally meet Tim like 12 years ago, and I say hi and he says "You're probably mad at me".

I'm like stunned "Uhhh, no, whuhever for?" I'd never said a bad word about the dude, and I still don't know him. But I like the part of Waynes post where he encourages us to just get out there and do it and be helpful to others.

Post modified: nothing behind the curtain.

:lmao:

Edited by billcoe

Ok This discussion is great except for the attacks on Tim . No he is not easy to get to know . It took ten years for me.

Tim is quirky yes, but he is one of the best people I have ever met, for many reasons I wont even go into. Thats all I have to say on that.

As for the other much less important issues. Just go climb there,and be helpful to the people who go there. I have seen and participated in a few rescues there, and I belive more info is better. This planet is going to burn up too soon anyways to deny the joy this place will bring to folks, so Chill good folk.

I met Tim about 7 years ago at Broughtons. Seemed like a nice enough guy. But, actions speak louder than words. If he is so great, then why do the majority of the climbers I know dislike his actions?

You can see this master topo at PRG on the wall. It is actually a really good topo, you couldn't get lost if you tried. It is all shiny and laminated. I see that you can buy it from some website but now I can't remember the URL. Something like Mr. Piton maps or something. Anyone else seen this topo?

You can see this master topo at PRG on the wall. It is actually a really good topo, you couldn't get lost if you tried. It is all shiny and laminated. I see that you can buy it from some website but now I can't remember the URL. Something like Mr. Piton maps or something. Anyone else seen this topo?

Notice the bold word.

I bumped into Tim over the weekend and we chatted it up a while. He seemed like a nice guy and we talked about his new topo for a bit as well as the new edition of Portland Rock Climbs. The topo is a smallish poster dealie made from some weird plastic paper. Supposed to be waterproof, tear resistant, and very durable. Tim was nice enough to give me a copy and it looks really good. Lots of route detail and it can be folded small enough to fit in your pocket so you can whip it out for reference whenever. But it also seems durable enough to last a while. Only time will tell but I'm pretty impressed and certainly think it'll be helpful for me.

Maybe now I'll climb at Beacon even more and ruin everybody's day. Sorry.

Wait, no I'm not. :rolleyes:

'Risk averse' is about gyms and the production of 'safe' routes that together allows 80-85% of today's climbers to identify themselves as climbers. If bolts disappeared tomorrow, those 80-85% would no longer be climbers the next day.

Are you okay...I mean I hope you are not just blowing some random figure out your ass.

Where else would I get a number like that? Where would anyone get a number like that? There are no numbers like that. You can only estimate numbers like that, which is what I did. You think it's wildly off? I don't. On any given day, I'm guessing of the percentage of folks who own a harness and have been climbing in the last year, only 15-20% are prepared to lead trad. That if gyms and sport routes weren't available there would be an overnight collapse in the number of climbers.

It goes hand-in-hand with the fact that most are only looking for risk-averse entertainment; climbing which requires them to personally assume risk is not on their radar. The problem with this new majority is the amount of rock that needs to be bolted to support them outside of gyms. My sole concern is insuring Beacon is not thrown under that particular train even if every other rock in a 100 mile radius of PDX is...

EVERY OTHER RANDOM NUMBER you have pulled out of your ass (anyone remember the "Thousands of gym climbers are dying every day!!" shocker) has been demonstrably wrong. Why is this one any different Joe?

'Risk averse' is about gyms and the production of 'safe' routes that together allows 80-85% of today's climbers to identify themselves as climbers. If bolts disappeared tomorrow, those 80-85% would no longer be climbers the next day.

I agree. Watchem go by by.