New Beacon Master Topo!

wayne

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Tim was asked individually and collectively on several occasions that it not be published. Kind of a shame he'd choose to revisit this type of energy all over again given the hard feelings still clearly evident from the last go around...

yeh yeh yeh JH, :lmao: now get in line with the rest of the hosers who didn't want it to be done to buy yours. You know the rest of those guys will all have one soon.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well, Tim was asked individually and collectively on several occasions that it not be published. Kind of a shame he'd choose to revisit this type of energy all over again given the hard feelings still clearly evident from the last go around...

Well said JH.

Seriously, aside from ego driven machismo, why shouldnt Beacon have a topo. The crag itself is hardly secret. You (JH) constantly emphasize the need to reduce signs of previous passage on routes. Seems to me that by prohibiting sharing of information you increase the likelihood of people getting in over their heads and having to leave excess bail gear. Further, it increases the risk of serious injury, which can only serve to hurt access in the future.

It is a 1 page deal and fantastic. It should be in stores soon

When does this come out? Can you describe it?

I am only guessing here: comes out "soon".

Described as "fantastic".

You are welcome.

Bone, wasn't the title of your post DONE? As one definition (Miriam Webster dictionary says, "to come to or make an end : ".

I am only guessing here: comes out "soon".

Described as "fantastic".

You are welcome.

I am new, but I get the feeling you are being a smart ass. I like you. You are funny.

It would be nice for those who have seen this new topo to describe it without using adjectives like “great, fantastic, and superb”. Thanks

Seriously, aside from ego driven machismo, why shouldnt Beacon have a topo. The crag itself is hardly secret. You (JH) constantly emphasize the need to reduce signs of previous passage on routes. Seems to me that by prohibiting sharing of information you increase the likelihood of people getting in over their heads and having to leave excess bail gear. Further, it increases the risk of serious injury, which can only serve to hurt access in the future.

Trog, personally, I am and have always been anti-beta and anti-guide - both are basically the antithesis of everything I climb for. As for tat people may leave bailing, we can deal with that no problem. As for "it increases the risk of serious injury" I totally disagree. Beacon is inherently a dangerous place, if you're not capable of bailing if you find you're in over your head you shouldn't be out there.

To be completely blunt, I find the very idea that a lack of a guide or beta at any crag "increases the risk of serious injury" is ridiculous on the face of it and about as sad an indictment of today's climbing scene as I can possibly imagine.

Trog, personally, I am and have always been anti-beta and anti-guide - both are basically the antithesis of everything I climb for. As for tat people may leave bailing, we can deal with that no problem. As for "it increases the risk of serious injury" I totally disagree. Beacon is inherently a dangerous place, if you're not capable of bailing if you find you're in over your head you shouldn't be out there.

To be completely blunt, I find the very idea that a lack of a guide or beta at any crag "increases the risk of serious injury" is ridiculous on the face of it and about as sad an indictment of today's climbing scene as I can possibly imagine.

I have to agree with Joseph that the purpose of guidebooks and topos are never, ever, to provide some sort of level of safety. If you're flipping through a guidebook or scanning a topo to discover what's "safe" for you to climb, then you may need to take up golf.

Good guidebooks are a collective history of the art of climbing. Good topos are works of art that document and hint at the struggles and searching an FA team experienced. They also provide the beta for people to move more efficiently and with more confidence through the vertical, adding another page to someone else's experience. They call visitors to come and experience the best that a climbing location can offer.

Everything in our climbing today rests on the shoulders of the pioneers before us, from shoes and harnesses, ropes and pro, the Matterhorn to Mt. Moffit, El Cap to Baffin, Chain Reaction to Realization. Every climb isn't a FA. And those with the vision to go out and explore and discover new lines deserve to be recognized. All other teams afterward are resting on those shoulders, which wouldn't be there were it not for the topos, the guidebooks, and (yech) even the media to report these accomplishments and document our history.

Joseph's insistence by stating, "I am and have always been anti-beta and anti-guide - both are basically the antithesis of everything I climb for..." is localism and elitist.

Climbing is a shared experience - we can do better than that.