New to the Area, Looking for Partners

thebravecowboy

Hello,

I just moved to Seattle and I'm looking for some good, chill folks to climb with.

About me (basic): I'm a 24 year old guy. I'm a writer, computer programmer and bicycle mechanic. I went to Middlebury College in Vermont. I grew up in Washington, DC. I'm moderately strong and moderately fit. I built a wooden boat up on Lopez Island and sailed/rowed it to Alaska this summer.

About me (logistics): I own a 3 seater pick up truck and will drive places (sometimes very long distance). I live in West Seattle. I have all my own rock/ice/mountaineering gear but no rack to speak of. I usually work freelance so I often have time to go to the mountains *whenever* weekends, weekdays, et cetera.

About me (climbing experience, rock): I've been rock climbing on and off since I was about 10. Somehow, I'm still not that good at it. I can follow 5.6-8 trad consistently. I'm ready to start leading trad, probably around 5.2 - 5.4. I've sport led to 5.9 indoors, but not at all outdoors. I'm ready to have a go at that, too.

About me (climbing experience, ice): I have fairly significant experience on water ice, none on alpine. I can lead NEI 2-3 water ice (what's that, 3 to 4- on the WI scale?), follow NEI 4. I'm into doing some big alpine ice climbs if someone's willing to drag me along and give me some pointers.

About me (climbing experience, mountains and glacier): I've done significant scrambling in Montana, some in the Cascades, lots (unprotected friction slabs?) in the Adirondacks. Climbed Mount Washington and most of the high Adirondack Peaks in the winter. Mostly not technical (though there's the occasional 8-pitch low angle ice in there), but I know how to deal with the cold. I don't know anything about glaciers (well I've read books and know things in theory), but I'm psyched to learn.

What I'm looking for: If you've gotten this far you know I'm not particularly "hardcore." I'm looking to climb some mountains, get better at ice leading, start leading rock. I'm not a gearhead or a climber dude. I love the mountains, but climbing isn't my life. I get scared sometimes. I don't like to talk about climbing equipment. I'm just a chill, contemplative boho /hobo type looking for a good time amid the rock and ice.

I'm sure there are plenty of kindred spirits out there, so drop me a line.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, you were part of the Tern Crew. That was a grand adventure, way to go :tup:

I talked to Steve Brouwer today. Sounds like an eight page article about the trip and the boat is going to be in Woodenboat Magazine this month written by Becca with some commentary by Steve.

Anyways, PM me your number and we can hook up sometime for some alpine or some craggin'.

Bill

Welcome!

I'm ready to start leading trad, probably around 5.2 - 5.4. I've sport led to 5.9 indoors, but not at all outdoors. I'm ready to have a go at that, too.

We have a group that goes out one night weekly, usually a Wed but as yet undecided this season, to the local crag to pull down after work. We usually meet in Issaquah around 3:30-ish. With daylight savings time, all we are waiting for now is the crags to dry out a little. This weeknight climbing is an ideal way to meet some folks, do some networking, do some top roping/seconding, get some pointers, and start leading. The routes we do are almost all sport bolted. The style is very laid back and supportive.

Unlike the East (the Gunks in particular) there are very few low-end trad routes around here; things start up around 5.6 or 5.7. That said, there are a few routes in Leavenworth and at Index that make **great** beginner trad leads.

Are you working yet? You free this week, during the week?

• 1 month later...

Alex,

You so kindly responded to my post back at the beginning of April looking for climbing partners, mentioning a crew you usually go climbing with in the evenings during the week. You weren't sure back then when you would be going out this spring/summer. I was wondering if you'd sorted that out by now.

Drop me a line on my e-mail address, ben@bravecowboy.com

Cheers,

Ben