Seeking beta on Kyrgyzstan - Khan Tengri

I'm booked into Bishkek, arriving August 7 and departing September 8. Looking for any information on transportation, travel agencies, equipment, etc.

In particular I would like opinions on which company runs the best base camp, and whether walking in to BC is a viable option.

I'm traveling alone, but planning to join a rope team where prudent. Will climb unguided, but use one of the base camps for meals to keep the carry weight down.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

contact Garth at info@alpinefund.org

He started a climbing school out there a number of years back and spent many years living there. He is back in the states for the time being, finishing up his masters. He still spends summers out there.

www.alpinefund.org

I went in 97 and we went with ITMC out of Bishkek. They arranged everything for transportation. I am not sure if they are still around, but everything worked out pretty well in a 3rd world sort of way. Those are some spectacular mountains.

I wouldn't recomend walking to BC. It would really take some time. We flew the Russian Heli, and although it seemed to be the most dangerous part of the trip, it saved about 5 days in each direction.

Back then, you had to have an invite from somebody there to get a visa, and ITMC did this for us. Not sure if you have arranged that yet, but they won't let you in without it.

Have a great time. The BC was great!

• 1 month later...

A buddy of mine went to do K.T. in 2005 and I am sure he can tell you who NOT to go with. His Russian chopper crashed on the glacier when it picked them up to head back to Karakol. Amazingly noone was seriously hurt.

Give Lee Harrison an email and I am sure he will he happy to talk to you about his K. T. trip.

ljharrison247@hotmail.com

Have fun! Kyrgystan is a really cool place!

Tim