cows or goats?

underworld

i'm aware of the deep (and i mean deep) familiarity this board has with farm animals baa . i'm wondering if that knowledge can be put to use for my benefit...

with regards to motorcycle leathers - what's the significant (if any) difference between goatskin and cowhide.

- durability? :battlecage:

- safety? skull

- breathability? sickie

- coefficient of friction 8D

- etc etc.... :yoda:

any ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowhide is generally a courser leather than goat. I ride with cowhide for safety, but it isn't as comfortable. It is warmer and a bit stiffer. So if you are on cafe bike, the back of the collar will rest in your neck right under your helmet and can a little irritating. The cool thing is that is makes that awesome squeeky leather sound so well!

awesome squeeky leather sound so well!

haaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;i knew it,..............ii was goingty o twework that into my storya with the clinking of steel fourshadswoing;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;thoughybt wit wtoo obbviouz........goood ttoo seeee th n2wichenz locked no.l............

Cowhide is generally a courser

Definitions of courser on the Web:

• a huntsman who hunts small animals with fast dogs that use sight rather than scent to follow their prey
  • charger: formerly a strong swift horse ridden into battle
  • a dog trained for coursing
  • swift-footed terrestrial plover-like bird of southern Asia and Africa; related to the pratincoles
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

*Pluvianus aegyptius*Cursorius cursor*Cursorius temminckii*Cursorius coromandelius*Cursorius rufus*Rhinoptilus africanus*Rhinoptilus cinctus*Rhinoptilus chalcopterus*Rhinoptilus bitorquatus

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courser

IM confuse...........wich of theseed id you meen???????????????????

I read a bit on gloves that recommended deerskin. They had a bunch of info about how it stretched or some such nonsense and how it was better than cow or goat for motorcycle gear. I think it was all sales crap since the company was (at the time) the only seller of deerhide riding goods.

I would look at what the pro riding suits are made of. Those guys no more about abrasion resistant clothing than anyone.

If thicknesses are the same, I'm thinkin' goathide wears better than cowhide.

Depends on who's wearing them. Here, for instance, my vote is for the faux snakeskin.

leathers.jpg

As for myself, I ride in cowhide leathers and don't feel that they're lacking in any way regarding function or comfort. They've bleached out a little over the years, but have otherwise worn well with the miles.

If thicknesses are the same, I'm thinkin' goathide wears better than cowhide.

Depends on who's wearing them. Here, for instance, my vote is for the faux snakeskin.

leathers.jpg

As for myself, I ride in cowhide leathers and don't feel that they're lacking in any way regarding function or comfort. They've bleached out a little over the years, but have otherwise worn well with the miles.

Yeah, that looks OK, but it would probably look better on a woman.

Edited by tvashtarkatena