Sabertooth Crampons and Montrail Moraines

msgehard

I want to thank all of you for the info on boots a while back. I ended up buying a pair of Moraines (long story).

Now I am looking for crampons. I'd like to get a set of BD Sabertooths. I know they fit the boot becuase I have tried on a pair with my boots but I am worried that the boot flex may make them pop off. I don't plan on climbing anything real technical right now but would like to have the option later.

Any thoughts??

I was also looking at the BD Contacts (full bail on front and step in on back). Any thoughts??

Thanks again,

Mike

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a pair of Reichle Eigers a few years ago, because REI advertised them as being compatible with step-in crampons - like my . And, they were... until they got broken in, and now they flex too much.

I'd recommend at least looking at crampons that have the "newmatic" bindings. Grivel has them, so does BD, and other manufacturers. Stubai makes an aluminum crampon that's supposed to be great, apparently, if you're not climbing on hard ice, and it's lighter than you can believe!

I have a pair of Grivel G-12 with what I believe is called the "new-matic" binding. It has a step in rear bail and the front is made from some high-speed plastic that straddles the boot's toe box.

It works great on a varitey of boots and will fit a large range of sizes as well. It is also very durable.

2 cents....

good luck

Don't mix step-in crampons with boots that flex. It's frenching on low angle stuff that knocks crampons off, not front pointing.

To my knowledge, the moraines are too soft.

The Grivel lanier system works brilliantly with everything except big boots with thick toes. At that point the front plastic bit starts to get very close to the impact zone (ie. they're going to get the crap kicked out of them).

I have a pair of Montrail Couloirs which were stiff when new but are now worn in and relatively flexible. I bought Charlet Moser Ecrin crampons which have never failed me on many alpine climbs such as El Dorado, Sloan Peak, West McMillan Spire, the Brothers and Mt. Constance to name a few. With the crampons off, boots flex well on the approach and when the crampons are snapped shut add a lot of rigidity for front pointing and French technique.