BD "Alaska" picks???

rockermike

Is there any meaningful difference between the new black diamond "titan" picks (I own two) and the old "alaska" picks (I've only seen pictures)?

For general real word alpine climbing I'd like to have a pick a little longer and less steep than either the Titan or Laser. There are a few online sites still selling "Alaskas". I know they look straighter then new reverse curves but any other significant difference? Anybody like or dislike them?

Thanks in advance.

ML

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts on Alaskan Picks:

-Climb snow/alpine ice to 70deg better than reverse curved picks

-Dont climb rock near as well

-The top of the pick forms a point that sticks above the axe's head. This digs into your palms if you use the tool much in a cane position.

Good pick for moderatly steep routes

-The top of the pick forms a point that sticks above the axe's head. This digs into your palms if you use the tool much in a cane position.

hit them with a file and take care of that protrusion. then you can poilet canne/manche more effectively since it doesn't hurt your hand to push down.

Didn't the Alaska pick originate from the last age of ice tools? I had them with my Prophets, both straight shaft and bent. For those of the new era, the bend in the shaft was at the hand much like those particular to making rock moves, but with a straight shaft above. The pick angle matched the swing for ergonomic placements to each swing. As mentioned the straight pick lends itself to useful snow play and is still very secure in ice.

The top bit acts as a anvil when pounding your tool into the ice. It is possible to have it irritate the hand if you are accustomed to carrying your tool by the pick; however if your use the adze, you gain some positive aspect, yet still then the teeth underneath are more of a threat. They delaminated the crook between thumb and index finger while self-arresting.

The angle of the Alaska pick offers less positive purchase than recurve modern era picks that shape to offer higher surface area when drytooling.

That said, my buddies and me have used Alaska picks on WI5 routes, broken glaciers with a lot of seracing in order to summit, and on a lot of snow approaches. They even worked well for hooking on routes.