alpine ultra-light packs

steelhead

HEy Wopper or Rodchester, Tell me more about NF jetstream. Does it have?...gear loops, extendable top lid, bivy extension, wand pockets, suspension frame or sheet, daiseychain. I want basic pack with essential features only. (some of above I can live without).

Also, NOZONE owners, why is this the best pack? It certainly is a lot more $$$$!

I'm a serious buyer right now!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is getting your hand on a jetstream pack is hard. They do NOT make it anymore and the new version is not what you want. If you can find a leftover or a used one grap it.

It is lightweight (Spectra material), simple "X" frame which is a very basic two stay system so it has just enough frame to carry around fifty pounds with no problem but not so much that it weighs a ton and is bulky, it has tool tubes, an excellent cramp-on pouch that just rocks for mountianering and ice climbing, two daisy chains, has a "slot" to put in a bivy pad if you want, it is an extendable pack that acts as a bviy as well.

It is a simple no thrills pack that focuses on function...not form. It has between 3000 and 3300 cu inches depending on size. Comes in regular and large.

The kidney pad...or waist belt...is just enough to grap the hips, but not much more. There are two gear loops on the belt...one on each side, and there are two ski slots on the pack bag.

Simple light yet just enough frame to hump a load. Perfect size for two-three days if you can travel light. I have used it ice climbing as well as on alpine rock and LOVE the pack.

They used to sell it for $200.00 and you could get it on sale at time for a good bit cheaper. Whopper only paid $100.00 for his.

If you can get it...get it.

My vote goes with the Arcteryx Khamsin 38. When I think ultra-lite I'm NOT thinking that I'll have the luxury of a sleeping bag, otherwise your not traveling ultra-lite are you. Regardless my 38 was big enough to handle an overnight alpine tour to Silver Star with skis.........my ONLY complaint is that it doesn't have a floating top pocket so if you really load it then you'll make contact with your head. BTW I've used the Ice Sack and there is NO comparison.......the suspension on the Ice Sack sucks, you can easily put a ski pole basket between your partners back and the pack.......try it!!!!

------------------

I checked it out on Barrabes for $136.00 American. That is the pack and I would grab it. It is on clearance and there can't be many left.

Just like shoes, someone can tell you how great a pack is...but if it doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you. So there is a chance you may not like the fit.

I found the fit to be fairly basic...as far as fitting a wide range of "average" people. I am 72 inches and havea 43 inch chest. The large fits well. I found the regular fit well too, but the large fits better with gear and winter clothes on.

Whopper has the regular size and is shorter than me but has more of a barrel chest build.

Plain and simple...the pack rocks for all alpine climbing. No frills, lightweight, simple, effective.

Grab it...and good luck.

Let me know how it goes brother.

If you want a _really_ light sack then the Serratus Genie is hard to beat at less than 1lb. There's room for a closed cell back pad should you need one, although it doesn't come with one.

Best of all it's very cheap. About $46 Canadian, so you can have four of them for the price of pretty much any other pack mentioned here.

I did a two day (took bivi gear) technical alpine route with this no problem.

Ade

Ade, what was your bivi gear? A bottle of Jagermeister and a toque? The Genie is 30 liters. 30, count em, 30. With the amount of gear I carry there is no way anything but the most minimal bivi gear fits in there - I find for a 'technical' alpine route (super light rack of about 6 pieces and 6 slings, harness etc., crampons etc. rope & helmet) planning on a 'suffer' bivi (light fleece and or down jacket, overbag and or bivi sack, feet in pack, sleep on rope and pack backpad, no stove or pots, just cold food) I still need about 40 liters of pack size -can you share your secrets?

Well since you asked:

MEC Penguin outer bag

3/4 length ultralight Thermarest

GTX bivvi bag

Waterproof jacket & pants

Food & 7 pints of water (bladder + Nalgene)

Gloves & hat

Marmot dryclime top

Wild Things wind shirt

Approach shoes & socks

Camera & film

Headtorch (Petzl Micro)

50m 9mm rope (on the top)

Helmet (on the outside)

My half of the rack (bigger than Drew's full set of wires, 5-6 cams, 6 slings)

This was fine for the 3+ hr approach plus soloing the bottom pitches. No axe or crampons (minimal glacier approach), that would have been tricky. Next time I'll get a foam pad for the back of the pack and ditch the thermarest, making room for crampons. No stove.

[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 09-17-2001).]

I picked up a 50l Lafuma a couple of years ago. It's light with minimal suspension and carries up to 40 or so pounds well. I tried loading it up for 6 days in the picketts and regretted it but it's perfect for long weekend trips with bivy gear, rope, rack, etc. It also caries skis better than any other pack I've used. One more plus, as opposed to a lot of the other light weigh crap on the market, I've thoroughly abused this puppy for a good three seasons and it's still intact.

But then as a friend once pointed out on a climb "I we quit drinking beer we'd loose more weight and save more money than we shave/spend with/on the lighter gear." "Yeah, and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped"

quote:

Originally posted by Norm:

I picked up a 50l Lafuma a couple of years ago. It's light with minimal suspension and carries up to 40 or so pounds well. I tried loading it up for 6 days in the picketts and regretted it, but it's perfect for long weekend trips with bivy gear, rope, rack, etc. It also caries skis better than any other pack I've used. One more plus, as opposed to a lot of the other light weigh crap on the market, I've thoroughly abused this puppy for a good three seasons and it's still intact.

But then as a friend once pointed out on a climb "If we quit drinking beer we'd loose more weight and save more money than we shave/spend with/on the lighter gear." "Yeah, and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped"