alpine ultra-light packs

steelhead

anyone ever use those GOLITE packs? do they have good enough suspension for up to 35lbs? Im thinking of the Khamsin 62, but it may be a bit large. I want a pack large enough for mountaineering jonts, but suitable for summit/alpine style climbing. any suggestions?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Arc' Teryx Nozone. It is the best pack I have ever owned. At under 4 lbs, it has a full suspension, room for gear, and lots of nice features. The only drawback is that the fabric is a bit fragile. Some folks have complained about it tearing, although if you know that and handle it appropriately, it is not a prob. Worth checking out.

The golite packs are RUCKSACKS, no suspension(I see they've got a second pack in the lineup this season but don't know any specs) There're also going to be too small for any winter gear needs here in the NW but would be big enough for overnight pushes in the summer. You can beef up a ruk with your bivy pad but there's no more pack there than an old klettersack. You can totally carry 35 in a ruk but it feels like a lumpy hod of bricks by the end of the day. You want light for alpine use, check out Kelty cloud or flight, both under two pounds. Lots of other packs with suspension and stays and a heck of a lot more carrying comfort are out there, picking a golitecould be a bit insubstantial.

steelhead:

I went through this a few months ago and one thing you may want to decide on is if you want a summit type pack and it has suspension, will it fit in your big ass pack? This was the reason (and $150) why I went with last years BD Ice Pack (for $127)over the NOZONE. Otherwise the nozone is superior to any other pack in every way(IMO).

I'll second Beck's thoughts.

Responding to Bronco:

Why the heck would you want to carry a separate summit pack with suspension??? That's your choice (and money) I guess, but if I was going to carry a summit pack at all, it'd be a sub 2 pound frameless pack that I could wad up into a ball or strap on to the outside.

Responding to Pencil Dick:

The Black Diamond Ice Pack has no frame or rigid suspension. I went with the BD pack over the NOZONE because of it. I agree with your point of carying a sub 2 pounder stricktly for summit attempts, but I wanted something more versatile (ice climbing, ski touring,day climbs) as my old Eddie Bauer day pack finally crapped out beyond repair.

But, you raise a good point - it is my money and my choice. wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

if you want a summit type pack and it has suspension, will it fit in your big ass pack? B]

Bronco:

So you were saying about summit packs with no suspensions? Chill out folks, I know people have big egos here but take a chill pill. Then shut up and climb.

• 1 month later...

Bronco,

Does the BD Ice Pack have a suspension of any type? I thought it had a very basic two stay system?

I know the old Mixed-Master, which the ice pack replaced, had a very light simple system that allowed you to actually carry weight on the frame (hips) as opposed to the "rucksack" mentality (shoulders).

I could swear that the Ice Pack had a frame...but if you own it and it doesn't, I trust you.

If you can find an old TNF jetstream, it is a great alpine pack. Very lightweight yet still has a frame. Tools tubes, and a real crampon pocket make it sweet. It carries loads to 50 lbs with NO problem. The large is 53 liters and the reg was 50 liters.

The pack that is not metioned here that I would not trade anjything for is the Cold Cold World Chernobyle. I have had on for a couple years and beat the heck out of it. Big enough to carry a couple days worth of stuff yet compreses well to climb with. The problem I have expierenced with alot of other packs is the waist strap is so large to make it comfortable to carry a load that it gets in the way with a harness when you are climbing. Just my expierence, but I do tend to break alot of stuff.

later

The best pack I've owned is the Wild Things Ice Sack. It has a pad and non-stretch fabric that when cinched with a big load feels no different than other packs with rigid suspension systems. I've used it for a week long trip into the enchantments, ice climbing and multi-pitch rock routes. When I'm climbing hard, I don't carry much and suspension isn't an issue, so I clip the waistbelt behind the pack and it's never in the way of the harness. Taking out the pad and replacing it with an 8 section Z-rest has worked great at bivies. At 3lb 4oz it's super light as well. The crampon attachment on the back makes it no sweat to take the points on and off.

going to have to go with fat kid on this one. The Cold Cold World Chernoble is a sweet pack. Everything you need in an alpine pack and nothing you don't. I have one and use if for day hikes and week long trips. I just wish they made them in something besides purple. Oh well, there isin't anyone out there to impress so who cares?

• 2 weeks later...

i have to reccomend the granite gear alpine light. nicely sized at 3200 cu in. it has all the necessities and still weighs in at less than three pounds. great alpine pack: hypalon tool tubes and crampon patch, built-in file pocket, front and rear haul loops, waist belt with gear loops, removable z-rest backpad, large floating lid (unlike wild things packs), and an extended storm collar for those forced bivies. great pack!

• 1 month later...