Harness replacement

ams

How often should a harness be replaced? Is there a time when even if it still looks okay it should be replaced, like an older rope? This one's 5 years old, and while the seams still look bomber it's pretty faded and getting a little worn around the edges looking. It's been kept clean and stored dark'n'dry.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I change mine ever few years. Not really based on time, use, looks, or anything else; I change mine when I start thinking about how old my harness is whie I climb. When I am making a crux move and I start thinking about the age of my harness, it is time to change it. I also weigh 200lb, and often get way above my gear and have a long time to think about the age of my harness as I freak out.

Otherwise, manufacturers claim to change about every 5 years or so on soft goods such as a harness, but people often use them much, much longer with no problems.

I've heard 3 yrs if you use it regularly. After 3 yrs on my last harness (climbing twice a week outside and gym)I noticed the tie-in point on the leg loops felt funny. I cut away the covering and found the about half the weight bearing webbing was worn through. The waist loop was still good but it was a bit disconcerting. I think if you climb a lot in the gym, you wear them out quicker because you are loading them a lot more than would be typical in outside climbing. Like mentioned before, things like ropes and harnesses should be replaced regularly and are cheap compared to the alternative.