[TR] Tieton - Mark's Wall 3/18/2007

ams

Trip: Tieton - Mark's Wall

Date: 3/18/2007

Trip Report:

Out at Tieton this weekend. SAW ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. A nice alternative to the crowds at Vantage this time of year! Weather was gorgeous: upper 60's and sunny. Night temps were probably right around 30. Campgrounds are still closed but there's lots of spots off on some of the dirt roads.

Gear Notes:

Draws and rope.

Maybe some bug goop for the ticks. Found a few on the dog.

Approach Notes:

The road to Honeycomb is still snowy/slushy.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark's Wall is the first wall of short columns you reach at the Cave, with routes including Children of Chaos, Mark's Window, Bloodstone, etc.

The wall is named after Mark McGuire, who put in the first anchors and started working on the first route (Cave Driller). While hanging on a rope cleaning Cave Driller, Mark watched his truck getting broken into in the parking area below. You can still find pieces of his busted window 15 years later. "Mark's Window" honors the incident.

Go to Tieton, but stay away from Tim Pond Wall, Royal Columns, Tieton Wall, and The Bend (raptor closure currently in effect). These are the first three/four obvious walls that appear on the right within the first three miles or so after making the turn off SR-410/US-12 at the Y. You can be sure that you've passed the last closed wall (The Bend) once you've driven west past the derelict old metal Quonset hut on the left side of the road.

After that, it's all good!

I've liked Tieton that times I've climbed there. So far I've been to The Oasis and The Cave, however both times weather was shitty so hopefully you'll have better luck. You probably will because one time was in january and another in early march.

cool. Is that really cool looking wall you can see from Hwy 12 S of Naches open or one of the closed walls?

If I'm thinking of the same wall as you seem to be describing, the answer is "it could be", as I think what you are talking about lies on private land at the base of a cliff below an apple orchard up top. Also, if it's the same place, the rock is a shit heap.

Tim Pond's Wall, about 3/4 to 1 mile past the wye, is the first "real" climbable rock, but it's closed for possible nesting right now. You can't miss it, since you park at the fishing ponds right below the cliff band. Hardly anyone ever goes there anyway, with Royal Columns, directly across from the WDFW Wildlife Station, being the first real climbing venue in the river valley.

is it off to your left (as you head west from Naches) just as you make the left turn at the wye? That funky formation at the corner across the river?

Or are you talking about Painted Rocks, just outside of Yakima before you cross the Naches River at the twin bridges? Has a concrete irrigation flume running across the top of the band. If so, that area has been closed to climbing for many years because of the Indian petroglyphs.

been awhile, I used to have to go to naches all the time for work, but it's definately not on the road that you turn off of in naches (410?).

don't remember the flume, just remember thinking, "that's some pretty choss and if those little columns would hold, probably some really fun climbing"