Synthetic jacket for Cascade Summer Use?

jared_j

I'm new to the region, and plan on doing some technical rock routes in the summer such as Mt. Stuart's north ridge, Dragontail Peak, and maybe Mt. Slesse if I get ambitious. I have a down jacket (Feathered Friends Helios hooded) that I will be using for a mountaineering course I'm taking, but think I would prefer a synthetic insulating layer to take on short (1 night or 2) alpine trips.

Recommendations? Because I intend to use this for climbing, compressibility and weight are concerns (so I'm ruling out fleece). I was looking at the Montbell Thermawrap UL or Thermawrap parka (lightweight, synthetic), or perhaps a Patagonia Micro Puff pullover.

Any insight/recommendations is appreciated, particularly in regards to how warm of a layer is necessary for alpine climbing in the Cascades in the summer. Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stick with the jacket you own! your down will be lighter and more compressible, which are your two concerns. If it rainy, you wont be climbing technical rock anyways. Down is the best choice for cascades summer trips.

On trips like that in the summer in the cascades, I take a t-shirt, a long sleeve poly-pro type shirt, and then a light down jacket. Early morning belays, windy ridges, just throw that thing on and you'll be warm enough. If it looks like maybe rain, I'll throw in a light rain jacket to the pack as well. If it is steadily raining, you are probably going to be hiking (back to the car).

If it's warm enough to rain and you are moving, you wont want to be wearing an insulated jacket.

Basically, insualted jackets are worn in the summer when you are not moving. This would be during belays, or lounging around camp outside the tent. You likely wouldn't be doing either of these things during a prolonged rain.

Don't waste your money on more gear when what you have is what you need.

I agree with Blake,

I have a lightweight down jacket that I use in the cascades, even when it is raining. Lighter and warmer then synthetic. If its raining THAT hard, I am usually walking back to the car also. Better to spend the money on a lighter sleeping bag/tent/stove system I think.

I have used the MontBell Thermawrap with the hood for a while now. It is very warm for its weight and more compressible than anything else on the market (synthetic). In my opinion... it is the best insulation layer for the cascades for 4-season use.

A friend of mine got (and returned) a Micropuff jacket. That same guy has the older micropuff pullover snapped vest that is really a piece of work. He loved so he got the jacket too and it is cut so stange, that his skinny self could curl up and almost sleep in it. The delta filling is sweet, but the cut of the micropuff stuff is terribly inconsistant. If you go that route try it on for sure becuase it could really be an odd fit.

Agreed, the Pata Micropuff Pullover is hard to beat. The warmth-to-weight ratio is very high. It has the basic needed features, nothing more. The DWR on the fabric is typical high Patagonia quality and lasts a long time with reasonable care. It's only about 12 ounces so doesn't give up much to the lightest down sweaters/jackets. Being synthetic, it offers the security of dealing with precip better. I'm a lean 6' guy and bought the size L for shoulder fit and arm length. It's spacious in the body but that makes it good for pulling over whatever other layers you're wearing (rest stops, belaying, etc.). The zipper is long so it's easy to do this. I think it's a great piece and the price is reasonable.