[TR] - Leavenworth Trad Routes - 3/18/2007

roboboy

We went out to Leavenworth yesterday to do a couple of multi-pitch trad climbs. These climbs have seen literally thousands and thousands of ascents so really no point in mentioning exactly which ones they were.

My partner sometimes posts but isn't well known and may not have ever climbed with anyone else on this site so I'll just leave this person anonymous.

As far as conditions, pretty much the same as what has been recently reported. Otherwise, about what you would expect out there this time of year.

On the first route I dropped a #12 stopper and couldn't recover it. Looked like this misfortune was going to cast a shadow on the entire rest of the day. Then two other guys showed up, (the only other people we saw, by the way), and out of all the many routes available decided to do the same one. "Hey, you two, here's your pro", one of them yelled down. "Look", I yelled back "the rule is finder's keepers". "Forget it, we both have multiple duplicates of all sizes and we sure don't want this" as the stopper came flying down right into my open hand from 200 feet above.

We got back to the car where I then found out I had forgotten to close the trunk where I had stashed extra clothing, cash and climbing gear. Lo and behold, we were gone for three hours and no one even bothered to look there, let alone take anything.

My water bottle was low so I went to buy a soda to supplement it. Wouldn't ya know it, end of the day and I had half a bottle of water left anyway ! What the heck ? $1.09 with tax at the Icicle Road Chevron for a soda, no biggie at all, hardly enough to ruin a climbing day.

End of the day and we headed straight to the Heidelberger. It's fast, cheap and convenient and boy, does it ever taste good. I never look at the menu as I always just go with what they do best - Triple Heli Bacon Burger With Cheese. They can pretty much just throw it on the grill as I walk in the door. But if you thought about losing any weight from a hard day's climbing, forget it, this baby packs enough calories to keep you going for another three days.

I decided not to post any photos, thinking it best to preserve the sense of discovery and surprise for future generations of climbers visiting the plastic Bavarian village crags.

(By the way, if anyone can find any speeling errors in this please PM me and I'll use the Edit function to correct). ;)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic