[TR] Mount Hood - Sandy Headwall 3/17/2007

Pochi

Trip: Mount Hood - Sandy Headwall

Date: 3/17/2007

Trip Report:

My friend Joe and I climbed Mount Hood Sandy Headwall Saturday. We left Seattle Friday afternoon. The weather was just gorgeous and very warm.

We slept in a car until 1:30am, started 2am. Snow was farm from the parking lot. So we ditched our snowshoes in a car, but carried over night gear for just emergency because we did not want to be on National News. And also we didn't have a dog with us either. We saw a few tent at Illumination Saddle 9,300ft. They must be the people who register to climb Luethold Couloir? Drop down from the saddle about 1,000ft and crossed over Yocum ridge. Got on Sandy GI with the sun rise. It was clear, but it was windy about 20-30 mph. Started climb on the headwall. The slope was consistently 45-50 degrees. Very solid Alpine Ice. But the slope is not steep enough to front point, but the tool placements were fabulous. My calf muscles were burning so bad. We running belayed whole thing except the one section. 15ft narrow gully with crappy water ice on. After that the slope got steeper. I think it was more than 45 degrees. Got on the summit ridge, had nice sun, but the wind was blowing so hard. We took a couple of summit pics and headed down the south side. The summit gully was very icy. We down climbed with placing a few pickets. The weather came in at this moment. It was still super windy and white out once in awhile. When I got Hogsback, there was a pretty big size crevasse opened up, I put a picket and step on the snow bridge where I saw some previous steps on, all the sudden the bidge collapsed and I fell 20ft into the hole. I don't know which one came first my partners arrest or I got wedged between the walls. It was a strange feeling to be inside of a crevasse that deep. I did not get injured and I was able to get up the wall with my ice tool. After that we just sloged to our car in windy and a little white out condition. That was a great winter Alpine ice climb with a little shaky incident. This will be one of my favorite climb.

Edited by Pochi

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic