axes

i_like_sun

Can anybody shed some general knowledge on ice tools? I've used the Quarks, and I was a huge fan of the curved shape of the whole tool. It was great for, what is it, "piolet appuie" ?????? french technique, please excuse spelling. They also seemed to have a nice swing weight, which is a must.

Basically, I'm looking for a new set of tools, and my knowledge about different models is limited. ANY bites to this thread would be rad. Thanks!

Edited by i_like_sun

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i_like_sun,

I realize your question is sincere. However, the general topic of the merits of different models and brands of ice tools has been brought up SO many times during the life of this bulletin board. It is not difficult to do a search and pull up tons of discussions - even just by clicking back through the topic lists. So for you to broach the topic again perhaps makes the "regulars" feel like you have failed to do your homework, and as a result your genuine inquiry is met with, if not derision, at least dismissal and annoyance. As a moderator of this forum, having seen this topic hashed out a couple of times a year for the last 4 years, it's hard for me to feel particularily inclined to rebuke that response.

A few basic pointers in pulling up results from our search engine:

Under the forum lists choose the "Gear Critic" forum or the "Ice Climbing" forum.

Set the date filter for results "Newer Than: 7 Years"

Under the Keywords, perhaps try listing some of the common brands or models eg. Quarks, Vipers, Grivel ... etc. rather than a more vaque query such as "Ice tools"

good luck with your quest for information.

Just for the head's up, the ones with curved handles and aggressive picks for technical climbs are "ice Tools" not ice axes.

I have those Grivel Ta-Ka-Oons you are looking at. You can borrow them if you want to, but its not really ice season right now.