Help wanted - nerd skills an asset

murraysovereign

Ever since this stupid time change thing, my laptop (XP SP2) has been refusing to start up without first going to a black set-up screen and demanding that I correct the invalid system time/date settings. If I bypass the settings and just boot up, it thinks it's just before midnight, Dec 31, 1999, so I have to reset the time/date settings, which works for the time being, but at the next start-up I get the same invalid settings warning again. If I go through the system settings screen and tell it the correct date and time before booting up, it seems to accept them, albeit grudgingly, but only until the next time I start the computer again, at which time I have to go through the whole stupid sequence again. According to MS, my system is fully updated and should have no problems with the time change, but obviously something is wrong, and it's getting really annoying.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a shot in the dark:

That it is not holding on to the date that you enter, and that you get a black screen perhaps tells us your problem may not be with Windows.

Is your BIOS up to date, or is it damaged? I think there is a BIOS battery as well which may be depleted by now if you have an old computer.

Erden.

Any suggestions?

Shut up and go climbing.

Yeah, you bet, Kev. Just as soon as my wetsuit comes back from the cleaners, I'm going to tick the first whitewater ascent of the Grand Wall :rolleyes:

Erden I think had the right answer: the BIOS battery is probably dead (5-year-old laptop - sounds about right). I asked Compaq about it, and they agree that's likely the cause. The fact it occurred right after the daylight savings change is purely coincidental.

Erden I think had the right answer: the BIOS battery is probably dead (5-year-old laptop - sounds about right). I asked Compaq about it, and they agree that's likely the cause. The fact it occurred right after the daylight savings change is purely coincidental.

This is what happened with my 4-year-old computer. It's a desktop, and there is a large watch-type battery that I easily replaced.