• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Colin

first winter ascent [TR] Mt. Huntington - Nettle-Quirk 3/12/2007

Nice!!

That is a cold spot to be camping since the sun hits it around 11am in late April. I recall -18 mornings and thinking that would be tough to keep the hands warm. Looks like the route was in great shape.

Great photos! What film & camera were you shooting with Jed?

Jedi

I have a Canon SD800. I'm pretty happy with it, but since the battery is rechargeable, if it gets very cold, it won't work. With the screen off, I get a few hundred shots on one battery. I kept the camera in my jacket so it didn't get too cold.

awesome colin and jed. there is no way colin doesn't win the big baller of the year award now.

why not just call it what it is...the West Face Couloir???????

Most AK Range routes are named based on aspect etc.; however Nettle-Quirk stands out because there was controversy over the FA of this route. Read Joe's little piece on it in his guidebook.

Actually, there is not much of a controversy. Several parties climbed the coulior in full to where it joins the Harward Route - but they did not or were not able to continue to the summit. Quirk and Nettle were the first to climb the coulior and continue to the summit. At the time a route was not considered finished till you got to the top. Now-a-days it seems anything goes.

To me it really should be called the West Face Coulior variation of the Harvard Route. Especially given that the upper part of the route is probably harder than the coulior itself.

Either way it does not diminish from the ascent - kudos.