[TR] Castle Rock, Tumwater Canyon - Several 3/15/2007

catbirdseat

Trip: Castle Rock, Tumwater Canyon - Several

Date: 3/15/2007

Trip Report:

After a scenic drive on Hwy 2, Roboboy and I arrived to an empty parking lot. The temperature was 35 degrees F. Decided to make for Logger's ledge on the theory that it would be warmer up higher. It actually was.

There were mountain bike tracks in the patches of snow on the trail. Some lunatic thought it was a good idea to ride down. Of course he cut off the trail in several places. Though you have to admire the skill that it takes to do that sort of thing.

We decided on Saber for starters, since it faces east. Roboboy led off on the route for the first time in 29 years. He still knows every route on Castle Rock and didn't need any guide book to tell him which way to go.

As I pulled up to the belay on Saber Ledge, the sun peeked wanly through a stratus layer, enough to warm us up a bit. Rob remarked that he'd wished he'd accepted my earlier offer of extra slings.

After a brief lunch break, we decided to follow the sun around to the south and do Winter Solstice. This fine route doesn't get done nearly as often as the adjacent route, Midway. It's a little harder, but really fun, and protects quite well. Just watch out for rope drag.

As I was belaying I saw a couple guys walk up and start up Midway. Turns out it was Rob McDan and partner Mike (Triggerhappy), for his first ever trip up Castle Rock. With the two of them on top of Jello Tower, we decided to follow.

Rob seemed to find (and clip) every ancient piton still left on the route and was convinced that we were on the original Midway route.

Returning to the parking lot, we found Rob was having car trouble. We tried push starting his VW camper and then jump starting, but nothing seemed to work. Mike was anxious to hit the Snow Lake Trail to start a six day solo backpacking trip to the Enchantments, so when the DOT Incident Response truck came by, we took the young fellow to the Icicle. Hope they got the van going.

Stopping at Heidelburger on the way home, I found their SOTB Chicken Sandwich to be delectable. Hit snow at Blewett Pass and rain the rest of the way home. It was pouring rain in North Bend. I had heard a group was headed out to Exit 38 after work. I wonder how that turned out?

Gear Notes:

Standard rack

Approach Notes:

Snow patches on trail. Rock was perfectly dry.

Edited by catbirdseat

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock climbing???

I've forgotten how to do that, you mind teaching me agian CBS :tup: :tup:

You already know how to do that part about catching falls. :crazy:

I remember something about someone falling off the start of Winter Solstice before they got any pro in. You start that route by going up an easy ramp from the left. You can get pro part way up, but if you put it in there, you are just setting yourself up for some heinous rope drag later on, so it's just best to skip it but be very careful not to fall.

Accident Link

Edited by catbirdseat

Dan Smith was there first.

That photo was indeed from Chair Peak.

I was at work when Robooy, CBS and RobMcDan were out having fun in L'worth. I have not been climbing since I broke my leg, in fact I lent out my ice tools and rock rack. Thanks for the good wishes.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

I almost broke my leg once falling off a ladder whilst painting Dan's house in Tacoma. Fortunately, I landed like a cat, but the paint splattered all over the roof. I managed to clean it all up before Dan and wife returned home.

I had to fess up to my mishap, as the roof and porch were still wet from the hose down. I don't think Dan was overly impressed with my skills as a painter.

How did those Camalots and Aliens treat you Rob? (McDan)

:tup: Thanks for the loan. That yellow alien is my new best friend. I've got to get me a set.

I have not been climbing since I broke my leg, in fact I lent out my ice tools and rock rack. Thanks for the good wishes.

How's the ankle? Say the word, I'll blow off work and we can go hit up Index sometime. I'll bring the rack ;)

I almost broke my leg once falling off a ladder whilst painting Dan's house in Tacoma. Fortunately, I landed like a cat, but the paint splattered all over the roof. I managed to clean it all up before Dan and wife returned home.

I once dropped a row of bricks off a third story roof. When I looked down, their dog was standing by the bricks looking up at me wagging his tail. Some game eh Fido?

On another occaision, I was taking out a tree for a friend. It fell wrong and backsnapped toward me. I was in thick brush with one way out and it was right in the path of the falling tree top. I ran as fast as I could and I would have beat it if I hadn't snagged a foot on a blackberry branch and landed flat on my face. I knew it was "be quick or die" so I instantly sprang into the brush. The tree top missed me by a couple inches. My friend's wife witnessed the whole thing. They didn't ask me to take out any more trees.

Edited by Bug