knives for climbing.

Paul_C

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a spyderco that is always close to my heart when I climb. I don't know the model but it just has a pen clip (larger than a real pen clip). I don't rely on it though. I usually wear a vest with a breast pocket so I put it there. If I'm not wearing the vest, It goes in the front pouch of my bibs. If I'm not wearing those, then I put it in my regular pocket which is not very harness friendly or in the top of my pack. I like to have it real handy for above mentioned scenarios! I like this knife 'cause it's real sharp and real light. It cuts through anything but steam, fog, pitch dark, a driving blizzard and bullshit.

What do you guys use those knives for? I've been climbing trad routs, big walls, sport, alpine and ice for over 30 years and I have almost never used a knife except for preparing snacks. Maybe 6 or 8 times I have wanted to cut some slings to clear a wad of sunbleached slings from some overstuffed bolt hangers and I didn't have a hammer to simply pulverize the offending slings.

i will agree with matt, my spyderco make a very nice cheese cutting knife! the only problem i find is that the cream cheese gets all gummed up in the serrated teeth. i got to be really careful licking it.

figure there are a couple self-rescue methods that you could employ, before cutting your bro off the short end. then again i didn't take lame-bone's rescue class, so whoreally does know what i know.

Matt: we cut things with them.

I have a mid 80's version of the "Rambo" survival knife I always have on my harness when cragging. I dont seem to have any trouble with guys trying to jump on my route or talk to my belayer. It also works as a piton if I need it.

Seriously, I have a medium sized spyderco I take it everywhere hoping to have a need for it and it DOSEN'T get used hardly ever. when it does, it is for pretty wimpy stuff opening a subborn pack of chese and crakers or cutting the tip of a cigar or sumthing. I think your best bet is the smallest cheapest lightest little knife you can find. It always cracks me up to see all of the the "CLIMBERS KNIFES" on e-bay.

I always carry a knife (not just when climbing but always). You never know when you will need to cut the cheese (not that kind...), cut bread, or any other food item, cut webbing for raps, remove old webbing, use it as a tool to fix a broken cam... Te uses are endless. I just tend to find that if I don't have a knife on me then I usually wish I had one.

Most of what I do is rock so having a "BELAY" knife isn't really a consideration.

Thanks

Paul

I now carry a small swiss army knife (weighs next to nothing and has other tools) while climbing, mostly to cut slings, but you never know what else you may need to use it for.

"There was a frayed end on your rope and I was cutting it out!" - Andrew Meyer

When I remember to bring it, I carry a basic Swiss Army knife. Its baggage I have from having the ten essentials being ingrained in my head during my formative years. I use it to clean old slings, cut emergency prusiks from my cordelette, etc... I've also heard of people cutting webbing from their pack to make an impromptu anchor. I've also been happy to have a leatherman tool around when I had to mess with my cams.

[This message has been edited by EddieE (edited 06-19-2001).]

Swiss Army knives are for camping. The real key to the Spyderco (and like knives)is that you can open it with one hand and it locks. There are infinite scenarios where you will need to cut the rope or something else in an emergency...I'll let you suggest them. If that knife is not real handy, you'll regret it. Divers and kayakers carry knives in very convenient locations and climbers should too. In my opinion, even the top of your pack is too out of reach.

PS: I guess if Clint used a swiss army knife on the Eiger then they are cool, but what if one of his arms was broken or useless. He'd still be hanging there like Toni Kurtz whom I also bet wishes he had a knife!

Thumbs down on the necklace idea. I'm not fond of excess cordage that will enivitable get tangled with something at the very worst possible time, doubly so when the cord in question is strung aroung my neck.

The only issue that I can see with the Remote release is the possibility of it autodetaching during a fall. The only issue that I have with the snap-it is that the internal area and gate opening of the attachment thing don't work on a standard biner, you have to use a small non-load bearing biner and I like to be able to use things for more than one purpose, having a spare biner can be a life saver at times.

Paul

Well, the debate continues. Carrying a knife around your neck- not the best place to hang a razor sharp item,particularily if you're flailing about on the end of a rope, most locking folders don't lock closed.

To D. Parker, incorrect, sir, you can open a swiss army knife with one hand, and I guarantee you'll use any multifunction tool, swiss knife or leatherman, a heck of a lot more than a single blade- picking shards of quartzite out of your mitts, popping blisters, TIGHTENING CRAMPONS, opening wine bottles, picking your teeth, cutting tape or moleskin, whatever, it's a much more VERSATILE tool than a single blade

Here's a poll for all the respondants here to this thread- Have you ever actually used a knife on a wall in an emergency situation, like you needed it THAT SECOND? Or do knives come in more handy during all the rest of the everyday shit?

If you grew up in the woods these maxims about knives seems to always be true.

#1- Big knife, small d_ _ _.

#2- guy carry big knife, not know much about woods.

I've always carried a small knife clipped to my harness. Used to be a mini-SAK, now I carry a tiny Spyderco. I have a short piece of tape wrapped around it to keep the blade closed, with a tab on the end so that I can rip the tape off with my teeth in an emergency, and the Spyderco can be opened easily with the teeth as well.

I've never actually HAD to use it in an emergency situation, but then, I've never used the plastic oral airway in my 1st aid kit either. Nice to know it's there, though.

I have never "had" to use a knife in an emergency or life threatening situation. However, I have wished I had a knife with me when cutting rap slings to length and trying to get the most out of my webbing/6 mil to ensure I got all the way down without leaving hardware.

Oh yeah, there was another time I wished I had a knife. I was in the North Cascades and a Canadian Grizzly was charging....

Beck,

I agree with you on the swiss army, since that's what I use (for climbing).

I disagree about the big knife comment, although a large knife is not necessity for climbing, there are times where I carry my "big knife". It's a beautiful S.O.G. specialty knife, with a 7" blade. I had it with me when backpacking in Denali NP and also while solo hiking parts of the AT. It's nice to know you have something to defend yourself with and hell it's great for survival if you needed it. Of course having a gerber multi-plier, large swiss army, or leatherman is great for extended trips or expeditions.

I also happen to know quite a bit about "the woods" and I can tell you having just a swiss army knife is better than nothing, but not so great for bigger jobs.

Dan E. - Resident big knife using hillbilly.

Dan E- what do you do with a big knife? Build lean tos and whittle bullroarers and snowsnakes for the kids?

Seriously, I have big knives, too, but in my kitchen- And I've also carried a spiderco mini taped shut on a lanyard around my neck, when the handle snapped and exposed the blade inches from my jugular, i reconsidered. I also carried a bigass kabar strapped to my leg for "protection"- when I was a boy scout!

I'll still stick with my knife maxims.

Beck,

Real smart carrying a knife around your neck, too bad you could have been a candidate for the "Darwin Award"! Sounds like you don't know know how to handle a knife so maybe you should leave yours at home.

As far as what I use it for, as I stated in my previous post: "I had it with me backpacking in Denali NP" at least if a bear decided to maul me, I would have a fighting chance. I've read of many bear attack stories where people have used a knife with some success or maybe wish they had one.

I've hardly carry it or use it for that matter, that's why they call it a "speciality knife"! It's not something I carry on regular hikes or while climbing.

Dan E.