APPLE RANT

David Trippett

So, I've been a loyal Mac user for some time now, lured in by the siren song of the big apple...until now that company could have sent me a hot turd with their logo on it and I would have begged to buy it....but the other day my ibook freaks out...so I take it to the shop and find out the logic board is dead....

New Logic board? 800$ and no guarantee the same thing won't happen again in a week. So I do some research and it turns out that the ibook in particular have had this problem with the logic boards due to the fact that as the case flexes and the solder breaks at this one chip. Apple has as much as admitted the problem exists and has replaced some of the problem machines, but it is anyone's guess how they apply the critera for replacement...and many users have been stuck with machines that don't work due to a shitty soldering job.

When I called back and asked Apple if this was a problem, they said no, that what I experienced was unusual! In spite of the fact that they have been replacing machines for this very problem!

HEY, FUCK YOU APPLE! GO TAKE YOUR FUCKING SMUG, INTELLECTUALLY MASTERBATORY, PINOT SIPPING, SELF-LOVING ATTITUDE AND STICK IT UP YOUR STEVE!!

GUESS WHAT>>>>I'M A PC!! COCK SUCKERS.

So, I suggest that if you have an ibook G4 and still have the ability; extend the warranty....particularly if you travel a lot with it.

Honeymoon's Over.

logo.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since your computer is essentially worthless I would try threatening them. If you have something like the Better Business Bureau in Canada tell Apple you are filing a report, might get their attention.

Oh, man. I have an iBookG4. Mine's going on a year and 7 months. Too late to extend the warranty. I'm very hard on mine, too. And I'm on deadline right now.

You've got me worried, Avitripp. But I can't imagine a mac not working. All of my macs have always worked. I bet they all still would, even the mac classic and the 190, I've got boxed up somewhere. I have the cube hooked up for my little ones to use.

I've never used another kind of computer since the Macs were introduced. My hubby thinks I'm crazy since he's PC all the way. He's been waiting for the chance to say, "I told you so." Of course, he's also the one who bought me the iBook for my birthday so I guess I can blame him for not getting me the Powerbook if something goes wrong :whistle: Wonder if it's time for a new one.

:cry: I never use mine on a table or desk. It's always on my lap.

This morning mine wouldn't boot up. I freaked. Hubby removed battery and put it back in. Started fine so I didn't think anything about it. Now I'm totally stressing after checking out that link. A computer problem like that would just push me over the edge right now.

I had the same problem with my Ibook G3. When I took it in for repair, the place sent it back to apple to get the logic board replaced for FREE. I had it for at least a year at that time, don't know exatly when it happenend. And I didn't have the extended warantee either, so I have no idea why the repair was free. I took it to Power Macs in Lake Oswego(near PDX) and they did the rest. Hope this helps someone.

Troy

I had the same problem with my Ibook G3. When I took it in for repair, the place sent it back to apple to get the logic board replaced for FREE. I had it for at least a year at that time, don't know exatly when it happenend. And I didn't have the extended warantee either, so I have no idea why the repair was free. I took it to Power Macs in Lake Oswego(near PDX) and they did the rest. Hope this helps someone.

Troy

You got lucky!! I had an Ibook that failed that way THREE times!!! They replaced the logic board the first two times because it was still under warranty, and they would not let me purchase the extended warranty?!? and then it failed about a year later. Yeah, what a pain. But I must be a glutton or something, because I replaced it with a Powerbook G4...

Computers break - Both PCs and Macs. They both catch fire, they both blow logic boards etc etc. My track record with Macs is FAR better than PCs. 1999 Power Mac G3 - Still going. 2001 iBook G3 - yep, still going. 1.25 Dual G4 - editing DV50 footage right now. 1.46 Dual G4 - Dead. Died a cold hard death due to some logic/memory issues. Replaced board. Still no worky. 2x Dual 2.5 PowerMac G5s - My office workhorses right now - they're going pretty much every day of the week since 2005. I've had my share of issues with Pcs too. One dell is still going at my moms house (4 years old) What I've found is the PCs seem to just AGE and get slower with all the crap they build up inside...

With laptops - a 3 year life cycle is what everyone should plan for. Any more than that and the tech is too old. Towers you can stretch to 4-5 years if you're good. (Though that's changing - now with all the cores, there's an increasingly steep diminishing rate of return on upping the # of cores. I've got quad xeon and going to 8 (possible in the MacPro) would only be needed for high end 3d GFX rendering (Maya etc) Hell, I do High Def stuff no problem right now...

Good luck with the iBook but I'd take that $800 and get a quad core 2 MacBook pro this year...

get a quad core 2 MacBook pro this year

and buys some intel stock while you're at it!

Don't listen to John, hes just trying to get you to move the price up so he can sell his stack of backdated options at a sky high price with his insider trading skilzzz. :brew:

Edited by syklone

I work in the Tech dept. in a school district and we have older eMacs (less than three years old) and the logic boards are all starting to go. Ours are under warranty though so we just have to swap them out. Does happen on all computers though.

This exact thing happened to a friend of mine, same time frame. Apple might as well have said "f*ck off." His apple care had expired a week previously. $800 later...

OK, so let's be honest: apples are already overpriced at this point. they expect you to shell out another $200 on top of that for apple care. This previously loyal customer is going elsewhere. You know what they say: learn from mistakes of another.