Dogs and Mt St Helens

mzchristy

They used to be OK.

They've never been ok, IMHO. Not meaning to turn this into yet another "dog vs. no-dog" thread, but why would you drag your mut up there unless you plan on (a) keeping him on a leash AT ALL TIMES, (b) blue bag his crap, and © keep him from barking at all wild animals or other people up there.

Seems few ppl w/dogs are considerate of others when I've seen them on the trails.

They used to be OK.

They've never been ok, IMHO. Not meaning to turn this into yet another "dog vs. no-dog" thread, but why would you drag your mut up there unless you plan on (a) keeping him on a leash AT ALL TIMES, (b) blue bag his crap, and © keep him from barking at all wild animals or other people up there.

Seems few ppl w/dogs are considerate of others when I've seen them on the trails.

Way to be unnecessarily aggro. In case you didn't notice the persons question was whether or not dogs are allowed legally or not. They weren't asking for your lame opinion about how dog owners are so rude. If you didn't want to turn the post into another stupid dog vs no dog post, then why did you bother posting?

Officially:

http://www.fs.fed.us./gpnf/04mshnvm/trails/index.shtml

Trails in the Restricted Area (yes the mountain IS in this area) :)

A restricted area has been established in the heart of the National Volcanic Monument to protect opportunities for scientific research and allow for the recovery of plant and animal life. The following rules apply in the restricted area:

Stay on the trail; off-trail travel prohibited. ($100.00 minimum fine).

No camping is allowed in the restricted area.

Disturbing research plots or removal of any natural feature is strictly prohibited.

Access into the crater is strictly prohibited.

Fires are not allowed within the blast area. Stoves are allowed within the blast area.

Pets and bicycles are prohibited.

For more detailed information and maps, contact one of the Visitor Centers or a Forest Ranger District Office.

• Like 1

Officially:

http://www.fs.fed.us./gpnf/04mshnvm/trails/index.shtml

Trails in the Restricted Area (yes the mountain IS in this area) :)

A restricted area has been established in the heart of the National Volcanic Monument to protect opportunities for scientific research and allow for the recovery of plant and animal life. The following rules apply in the restricted area:

Stay on the trail; off-trail travel prohibited. ($100.00 minimum fine).

No camping is allowed in the restricted area.

Disturbing research plots or removal of any natural feature is strictly prohibited.

Access into the crater is strictly prohibited.

Fires are not allowed within the blast area. Stoves are allowed within the blast area.

Pets and bicycles are prohibited.

For more detailed information and maps, contact one of the Visitor Centers or a Forest Ranger District Office.

What a relief. I'd hate to think of those damned dogs and their inconsiderate owners interfering with the snowmobiles.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/winter/documents/snomobilesnoparkmap_001.pdf

They used to be OK.

Yeah, imagine how how stressed all those snow worms and red algae get on St. Helens when Fido's not on a leash AT ALL TIMES. And the ravens. How must the ravens feel?

They used to be OK.

Yeah, imagine how how stressed all those snow worms and red algae get on St. Helens when Fido's not on a leash AT ALL TIMES. And the ravens. How must the ravens feel?

Jesus christ, does everyone have to love dogs?? Bring them, don't bring them. I don't care. Why is it so much to expect their owners to keep them under control and clean up after them?

Hiked up St helens last August, a guy and a dog just had a the same pace as us. Ranger Rick jumped out from behind a boulder and checked our permits.

Rick told the guy the dog had to be on a leash and threated him with a fine . He had one and Rick let him move on.

So I think these are the current rules.

Do not think you will see any Ricks on the hill until it is money making time up there.

You should be just fine.

• 11 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, robertjoy said:

See this section regarding Restrictions on the Boundary Trail.  No Dogs Allowed!  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recreation/recarea/?recid=70784&actid=51

That only applies to the Restricted Area portion of the trail on the North side. To anyone reading this post: You CAN bring your dog to the summit, on-leash of course! 

On 3/22/2007 at 7:10 PM, Roy said:

Hiked up St helens last August, a guy and a dog just had a the same pace as us. Ranger Rick jumped out from behind a boulder and checked our permits.

Rick told the guy the dog had to be on a leash and threated him with a fine . He had one and Rick let him move on.

So I think these are the current rules.

Rules are clear: No dogs. But it seems like just about everywhere else, the rules aren't enforced, which is why trails are strewn with shit-bags and I've been charged, barked at, and otherwise threatened more times than I can count, and bitten once by a dog whose idiot owner's first response was "Sorry, he's friendly". Hot tip: Your dog biting someone is the very fucking definition of NOT FRIENDLY.

So, so, so done with inconsiderate asshole dog owners who make up all sorts of fantastical stories to justify being lazy, at the expense of everyone else on the trails.

1 hour ago, CascadeClimber said:

trails are strewn with shit-bags

I will say this is one thing that drives me fucking nuts, and I'm a dog owner. The dog shits and they put it in the bag and then leave it there to retrieve on their way back, like everyone else who walks by it doesn't care. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jon said:

I will say this is one thing that drives me fucking nuts, and I'm a dog owner. The dog shits and they put it in the bag and then leave it there to retrieve on their way back, like everyone else who walks by it doesn't care. 

Same here. A local trail which is dog friendly people do this ad nauseum. As such, I have gotten in the habit of kicking the shit bags into the middle of the trail. What is even worse is when their dogs shits within 100 yards of the parking lot, they still leave the bag trail side. Like it would kill them to run 100 yards back to the poop can. 

I talked to a friend who is a rabid pro dog person and worked with a local group that was active with allowing dogs on this trail about trying to advocate that people pack their pup's poop. Their response was if they have to pack it, they will not pick it up. At this point I am now working with FS for more active management.