%&^#^%$&^%$ Bursitis

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The CDC just released new guidelines for hospitals and other health care facilities to prevent the spread of these types of infections. Here's a link to the report: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/guidelines/Isolation2007.pdf for those interested.

One thing patients and families of patients can do to help is to ask all health care workers if they have washed their hands before being touched by the MD, RN, or other people (visitors and family included). Simply walking into a room and put on gloves is not acceptable form of hygiene to protect a patient. Also, if a person touches a lot of other surfaces (the computer terminal, counter tops, etc.) between hand washing and touching the patient, ask them to wash again. Families and visitors to patients should also wash their hands frequently, as I am sure they touch surfaces in the room and also touch their sick loved one.

Unfortunately not all health care facilities foster a culture of good hand hygiene nor hold people (workers and visitors to patients) accountable to washing their hands. I work with cancer patients who have zero immune system due to the chemo treatments we give them. We routinely ask/remind each other to wash hands if we observe someone not doing the right thing. There really is no excuse in my opinion. I wash my hands (or use alcohol cleanser) more than a hundred times in a 12 hour shift. It is hard on my own skin, but I feel better knowing I am far less likely to pass on an infection that could kill one of my patients.