Senator Kline is a d!ck....

underworld

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I read the bill and think these guys are seriously overreacting. It basically requires a muffler and spark arrester and prohibits causing erosion on lands not owned by the operator. Can't see this brining "riding days to an end." Maybe they just don't like any regulation at all.

does it not say that if you ride, even on your own land, and your bike can be heard on neighboring property... then you are illegal?

but either way...the subject line of the thread still holds. based on his response letter, no?

Edited by underworld

It is a violation of this chapter to operate an off-road

vehicle in such a manner where the noise created by the engine of the

vehicle exceeds fifty-five decibels at the property line or is plainly

audible or exceeds forty-five decibels inside or within ten feet of a

residence. Noise from the combined activities of an off-road vehicle

being serviced, repaired, tested, loaded for transport, or to access or

exit property to allow for the sale or repair of a nonhighway vehicle

is allowed to exceed fifty-five decibels at the property line and is

plainly audible or exceeds forty-five decibels inside or within ten

feet of a residence for five minutes in any twenty-four hour period

between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. If there is more than

one vehicle involved, the five minute limitation applies to all

vehicles combined. Noise from the use of off-road vehicles for

agricultural and forest management purposes is exempt from the

prohibition in this section.

The ultimate impact of this kind of regulation is very hard to predict. Currently the long range plan is to turn the Rieter Pit area into a ORV park. My own sense is that continued road access to the boulders and Zeke’s Wall itself might be dependent on continued ORV activity in the area. If ORV activity were to disappear, climbers may have to go back to long hikes up from the valley floor.

Speaking from personal experience hiking from the floor wasn’t a popular thing to do.

Maybe legislation like this will improve the chances of the Pit Park becoming reality.

does it not say that if you ride, even on your own land, and your bike can be heard on neighboring property... then you are illegal?

Not to defend the bill, but only to take a look at this one point. I think that even when you are on your own property, you must be respectful of your neighbors within reason. I am not saying folks aren't allowed to run around naked and howl at the moon (as long as you howl under xx dB), but taking the neighbors into consideration is a reasonable thing to add to an ordinance.

but is 50db a little unreasonable? and that's only the private property thing.

there is the public land issues too, where there is private property in the vicinity.

it's not like it drunk partiers at 2am shooting each other in the u-district.

no comments yet on the senator's response letter?

Funny enough, I was on a borrowed Harley for a while and got pulled over and got a talking to about the noise. It was a noisy bike (aftermarket pipe). I registered 95 dB at acceleration. Oops.

My own bike (now sold) was not nearly as loud, but it was only a 400 (Rebel) and even with a small hole in the pipe I didn't break any sound barriers or anything.