Must Have Denali Gear

snowbound

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come to think of that, stash at least 10 liters of wine in your basecamp cache - 2 liters? what the fuck were we thinking? that lasted about an hour....

No shit. Don't underestimate how thirsty climbing a big mountain like Denali or Begoya can make you.

Bring plenty of dehydrated beer too.

300ml of fuel per person per day is plenty to make 5L/person per day plus hot water bottles. Cache a few days food and fuel at basecamp. We single carried to every camp till 12K and then double carried to 14K and finally moved to 14K after a week. I definitly would not recommend going any faster than 7 days to 14K camp. Single carrying to 12K worked well since you could take rest days instead of going back down to get a load.

DenaliDave said "better too much than not enough" but I think too many people carry too much stuff and are too tired to summit. Better to take just enough and count on getting extra if you need it from people at 14K.

Someone mentioned the 60% 40% for weight in your sled and pack respectively but On steep hills it feels way better to have it on your back instead of dragging you down the hill. PM me if you want more info, I also live in Vancouver.

Just enough should be fine when doing the west butt since you will likely be able to barter for anything you may end up short on. If you happen to be doing the north side, too much would be much better than not enough. I'm guessing you are doing the west but? Yeah, I did carry to much stuff and ended up with a double hernia slogging 250 lbs (each) in from Wonder Lake, in one push. However, I would not trim very much out if I were to do it again. Some people go light and fast, I like heavy and comfortable. As I get older this light concept seems pretty good though.

ya'll thing the aether 85 is a good enough?

I carried an old Mountainsmith once and another time carried an old Serratus. Both were around 5000 cubic inches and were more than enough room - but both times I was with a party of two and we were fairly "light".

However - if you're guiding your pack will be gargantuan so comparing your pack size to the average climbers pack size doesn't say much.

• 3 weeks later...

We had no problem with altitude when we arrived at 14K on day 5. Evan was fresh and I was just tired (E is a machine). Then we hiked to 17K on day 7 with no ill effects. We were both tired and did not want to go higher.

Everyone is different. Listen to you body and not you ego.

Kracken, I used the Aether 85 on Denali. Even on the Cassin. Evan made a 2oz lid/pocket for the top of the pack which lightened the pack.

It did not have the best system for carrying a pair of tools.

Being on the slender side, I bought the woman's hip belt which sat on my boney hips better.

Jedi