Pictures From the Wayback Machine

EWolfe

Frank-NRG_Bridge_Buttress.jpgF

rank aiding a famous line at the NRG, WV Bridge Buttress, ca. Winter 1987. I can't remember the name of this route, it's a 10.

I'm pretty sure it's "Zag" - a 5.8... albeit a Seneca 5.8. It's the route just right of the giant roof you first walk up to right? There used to be a classic sign here that said "Please do not change in front of locals".

Billy,

I think you might be right. I thought it was Zig (5.9, and my first lead, a classic Frank sandbag :rolleyes: ), and then thought that it might be Zig's companion climb, Zag.

If you remember that Zag is the first crack right of the HUGE roof below the bridge, then you're right.

And I seem to recall the sign said "Please do not piss in front of the locals." :laf:

Zig is further to climbers right - around the corner from Angel's Arete My first lead fall ever was on Zig; I popped right off while trying to jam pass the crux! BTW - some guys freed that crack that cuts across the roof last year!

I never heard the story about Frank Gibson; that's sad. The guys who climbed at the NRG in the late 80s / early 90s were (and still are) really tight friends - I imagine it shook up a lot of people.

A handful of oddities:

Sunrise Road, massively way back, Gramma's 32 Chev with the door open:

Sunrise_Road.jpg

Pre-global warming, my sister and I at frozen-solid Green Lake, 1956:

Green_Lake.jpg

University Heights School, 1958:

U_Heights.jpg

Construction of the I5 Ship Canal Bridge with the Gas Works Park Gas Works in the background stankin' up the neighborhood, 1961 I think:

Ship_Canal.jpg

Indian Bar Shelter, Wonderland Trail, 1966:

Indian_Bar.jpg

...and a retreat from Rainshadow, 1970:

Rainshadow.jpg

Keep em coming

Ok three more semi relavent images, ones for skeezix, the rest for what they are worth.

Scott Croll and I "helping" a doll we found in the parking lot, climb the back side of the Thimble (5.3) in the Needles, South Dakota. The doll was solen from my bike rack at a grocery store later that day :( (Summer 1987)

thimble.jpg

One the job in the Frank Church River of No return Wilderness, Idaho. 1988 (Best job I EVER had)

battleaxe.jpg

Popes first time jugging, city park 1985.

city_park.jpg

And to FREAK Jordop out, here he is with his boyhood dog, Flopsy. Yes, Jordop, I'm watching....

flopsy_01.JPG

JESUS! WhereTF did that come from???? I think that's the wallpaper in my old house. What the hell else did you sneak a picture of? Please not the transformers or the go-bots . . .

And to FREAK Jordop out, here he is with his boyhood dog, Flopsy. Yes, Jordop, I'm watching....

flopsy_01.JPG

JESUS! WhereTF did that come from???? I think that's the wallpaper in my old house. What the hell else did you sneak a picture of? Please not the transformers or the go-bots . . .

Creepy, no?

Hey,

Can one of you mods tell me why my pics on the previous page aren't posting? The URLs work fine when C/P-ed into a browser, and they show up fine in my gallery, but for some reason they won't come up in this thread. I used the "Enter an image" toggle like every time before, but this time it ain't werkin.' And yet wfinley was able to get one of them to post by using the "quote" function (top of this page). What gives?? :confused:

there is something wrong with those photo's,they are massive with this huge white space below them..

basically you can only post one or two that big in one post..

but here ya go, nice shot btw

Edited by jmace

A few days ago, in an effort to view your pix, I opened two instances of my browser...one to copy your image links from (out of your post) and another to copy them into...figuring that I might accidentally make them work. I copied and pasted one and when I went back to copy another all your photos were visible, with the big white patches to which you refer. I have absolutely no idea what I did right and it was only temporary since I don't see your stuff now, except those fotos quoted in replies.

Can you open them in an image editor, crop them down, and post again?

Ya you can here ya go

These are for SOBO, thanks for the cool pics I just copied your original post so people couild read and look at the same time.

Cheers Jesse

SOBO:

Skeezix got me thinking about Frank Gibson, my first climbing partner from my college days back in the Old Dominion. Frank was tragically murdered in his climbing store in Fairfax, VA in November 1990. His wife has since remarried, and his son will graduate high school next year. Please raise a glass to my friend and partner, Frank. RIP, brother.

Yours truly ringing in 1985 in my college apartment shortly after New Year's Eve. Frank and I drank everything you see here. IIRC, it was two bottles of Jack, a bottle of single malt, a bunch or Rolling Rocks, and a ton of some other shit beers. Look at the color of that nose!

Sobo-ringing_in_1985.jpg

Frank with his favorite beverage. The night before, it got down to 40F below zero, and this was the only thing that didn't freeze. We tried cooking in the tent the next morning, and promptly exploded the stove and burned down the tent. "Warning label? What's a warning label?"

Frank-Jack_Daniels1.jpg

Frank gearing up for my first big wall climb, Whitesides Original Route, NC, ca. 1986.

Frank-Whitesides1.jpg

Frank aiding a famous line at the NRG, WV Bridge Buttress, ca. Winter 1987. I can't remember the name of this route, it's a 10.

Frank-NRG_Bridge_Buttress1.jpg

Frank clearing out the barrel of his Ruger .44 in the gravel pit near Pembroke, VA, ca. 1988.

Frank-make_my_day1.jpg

Edited by jmace

Jesse,

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.

And in case I didn't make myself perfectly clear... Thankyou!! :grin: You're top tier, man.

Frank-NRG_Bridge_Buttress1.jpg

Frank aiding a famous line at the NRG, WV Bridge Buttress, ca. Winter 1987. I can't remember the name of this route, it's a 10.

That's Zag, right of "Handsome and Well Hung" and left of "Angel's Arete" - it was usually dirty with runoff from the top.

Climbed it back in the summer of 1986. You guys are tempting me to dig up my pictures!

Erden.

These are pretty poor quality -- I was too lazy to dig out the scanner so I just snapped photos from my old albums. These are by no means way back in comparison to others but they're at least 10 years old!

wb2.jpg

My old college roommate Chris somewhere at the New. I can't remember where this is... somewhere on Central Endless; I believe it's "Easy Street" - 5.4. This was before Chris quit college and moved to Yosemite and became a hard man. He now lives in Boise so someone here might know him. This must be pretty old (93 or 94) b/c Chris is leading a 5.4!

wb1.jpg

Me on the classic pose pitch of Irene's Arete. This was on August 9th 1995... I remember the date exactly because after we hiked down some guy in the parking lot handed me a beer and told me Jerry Garcia had died.

wb3.jpg

On the top of Devil's Tower August 1995. This was on the same road trip as the above pic. We drove from Blacksburg Va to the Tetons in a 36 hour marathon. On the way back we stopped at Devil's Tower and ran up the Durrance route. I'm the stoner on the right.

wb4.jpg

That's me following the first pitch of "Rat's Ass" on the south face of Looking Glass sometime around the winter of 1995/1996.

These are pretty poor quality -- I was too lazy to dig out the scanner so I just snapped photos from my old albums. These are by no means way back in comparison to others but they're at least 10 years old!

wb2.jpg

My old college roommate Chris somewhere at the New. I can't remember where this is... somewhere on Central Endless; I believe it's "Easy Street" - 5.4. This was before Chris quit college and moved to Yosemite and became a hard man. He now lives in Boise so someone here might know him. This must be pretty old (93 or 94) b/c Chris is leading a 5.4!

That actually looks like a route at the North End of Cathedral Ledge, I can't remember the name, if it is the route that I am thinking it is?