Pictures From the Wayback Machine

EWolfe

Wayback :pagetop: Machine

Skeezix,

Those B/W shots of Triple S and from the cave at the south end are priceless.

What a nostalgia fest you've sent me on... :sigh:

You did know that Thai's Face ain't there anymore, either, right?

BTW: You looked a lot like I did 27 years ago, but I think my beard was bigger. :crazy:

Somebody tip me off when I've gone too far. I think I'm losing control... 456117503_89a49e6db5_o.jpg

Ladykiller 1960

456107414_8726530408_o.jpg

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, W Germany 1978

456117513_d3b30d54b7.jpg

Ross Guard Station Party - Ross Lake ...1989?

456117507_8a57e2fa6c.jpg

Survey of old bridge - Devil's Corner, N Cascades Highway ...1992?

Edited by Skeezix

Dru, hip belay and diaper sling, that's pretty old school for 1990. :tup:

Skeezix, that stuff is golden! Glad you got a scanner.

Dwayner, I figure some folks just aren't familiar with knickers, already retro cool back in the mid 70's.

Knickers then:

11995.jpg

sg_babo_summit.jpg

And some natty knicker action from 2006, with red socks no less. Who says youth today got no style?

tieton_with_Ben_06.jpg

Some scenes from the So. Cal. climbing scene c. 1979/1980!

Dwayner and his buddy Pablo Cardenas rope up for the approach to the mondo beach crags!

beachcrag.jpg

Some brutal bouldering on a '72 Cadillac El Dorado!

SC_boulder.jpg

Ice climbing in So. Cal.....get it where you can!

SC_ice2.jpg

Climbing buddy Denis Erectus plants his picks in the sickness! Don't fall here, dude!

SC_ice.jpg

I aint wearing no shorts over polypro though! Ewwwww

And I'm wearing a Puma t-shirt. Puma is hip again :rawk: and I still have the shirt!

Pretty impressive neckbeard for someone under 20 though isn't it? Distel's was never so mega as that one.

O-W that's no diaper sling, that's a fully tied webbing harness using 5x as much webbing as a diaper sling. It was sooo good to chop that fucker up into rap anchors.

Skeezix got me thinking about Frank Gibson, my first climbing partner from my college days back in the Old Dominion. Frank was tragically murdered in his climbing store in Fairfax, VA in November 1990. His wife has since remarried, and his son will graduate high school next year. Please raise a glass to my friend and partner, Frank. :brew: RIP, brother.

Frank-Whitesides.jpg

Frank gearing up for my first big wall climb, Whitesides Original Route, NC, ca. 1986.

Frank-Jack_Daniels.jpg

Frank with his favorite beverage. The night before, it got down to 40F below zero, and this was the only thing that didn't freeze. We tried cooking in the tent the next morning, and promptly exploded the stove and burned down the tent. "Warning label? What's a warning label?"

Frank-NRG_Bridge_Buttress.jpg

Frank aiding a famous line at the NRG, WV Bridge Buttress, ca. Winter 1987. I can't remember the name of this route, it's a 10.

Frank-make_my_day.jpg

Frank clearing out the barrel of his Ruger .44 in the gravel pit near Pembroke, VA, ca. 1988.

Sobo-ringing_in_1985.jpg

Yours truly ringing in 1985 in my college apartment shortly after New Year's Eve. Frank and I drank everything you see here. IIRC, it was two bottles of Jack, a bottle of single malt, a bunch or Rolling Rocks, and a ton of some other shit beers. Look at the color of that nose!