Pictures From the Wayback Machine

EWolfe

Cairns, great shots! Give me a shout if you're still climbing and make it down to PDX sometime...

Okay, thanks.

Standing in the middle of nowhere,

standing.jpg

Wondering where to begin,

wondering.jpg

Lost between tomorrow and yesterday,

oldvsnew.jpg

Between now and then.

Supercrack.jpg

And then its back where we started,

Time to go 'round again,

again.jpg

Day after day I get up and I say,

Time to do it again,

Alf.jpg

Do it again, do it again.

Ben.jpg

Boys, pony up sometime with just stoppers and hexs and give Blownout a whirl. I bet you'd have a whole new perspective of the climb. Maybe we should hold a 'RetroDay' and party afterwards this summer...

Although we rapped off a hex, in the dark, into poison oak, it is likely that a few Friends were on the rack. It was Henry Barber who didn't bother with cams at Beacon.

It was Henry Barber who didn't bother with cams at Beacon.

Henry Barber climbed at Beacon? Wow.....when?

When Free for Some was freed. Before 1978, publication date of the Jeff Thomas guide:

"Nuts are strongly advocated for protection on all climbs."

"The practice of applying chalk is similar to smoking; it does not bother those who do it, but it is highly irritating to those who do not. In addition, experience at Smith Rock has shown it to be highly visible and a permanent blemish on any climb with an overhang. Leave the offending white powder at home!"

When Free for Some was freed. Before 1978, publication date of the Jeff Thomas guide:

"The practice of applying chalk is similar to smoking; it does not bother those who do it, but it is highly irritating to those who do not. In addition, experience at Smith Rock has shown it to be highly visible and a permanent blemish on any climb with an overhang. Leave the offending white powder at home!"

Are you saying Freeforsome was first freed by HB?

Roboboy-Peshastin1976.jpg

Great picture of Trigger Finger!

I climbed it the first of many times on my first trip to Leavenworth in March 1976. After he got off work as a dishwasher at a Mexican restaurant, at midnight, Jim Yoder drove me, Matt Kerns, and Mike Adams over the pass in his giant smoking Cadillac that required a couple of quarts of fresh oil every hour or so. After spinning out on highway ice (at least once), we arrived around 3 AM to the apple orchards where we slept on the edge of the road. (No parking lot then!). Trigger Finger and all of the weird shapes of the Pinnacles greeted me when I woke up and then I spent a wild day paired up with Mike Adams, wearing a too small pair of stiff rock shoes kindly lent to me by Kerns. I hadn't done a lot of 5.9 then but I sure did a few by the end of the day, including a scary route on Trigger Finger called "Hangover". It was located on the side of the Finger opposite that in the photo and involved a poorly-protected, overhanging, two-handed free-flying lunge for a lip with some questionable shenanigans afterwards.

Trigger Finger was a real novelty climb and Mike Adams would occasionally do a headstand on the summit. I tried it a couple of times but would get disoriented...the anchors were below the summit and a fall would have meant a spooky tumble.

Good times!

Here's a picture of Trigger Finger before and after it's mighty fall: Summit Post: Trigger Finger

Are you saying Freeforsome was first freed by HB?

That is indeed what memory kicked out, at first, but later I thought I might have heard 2 differing stories on the FFA. I wasn't there at the time. I was climbing at Devil's Lake, getting several kinds of abuse from Pete Cleveland. There was the newly freed Bagatelle he wanted people to try. My first tendon injury.

Kevin, man - hell, even I knew Hot Henry stampeded through town. I heard he also chastised the locals about the intermediate anchor on FFS...

and now we have an intermediate/intermediate anchor there. fuck, i hope he stamps through town again.

Kevin, man - hell, even I knew Hot Henry stampeded through town. I heard he also chastised the locals about the intermediate anchor on FFS...

and now we have an intermediate/intermediate anchor there. fuck, i hope he stamps through town again.

God I love that anchor.

I heard he also chastised the locals about the intermediate anchor on FFS...

What do you care.....its not like you climb that climb.

True, I haven't been on it for a long time. Your point relative to me passing along a scrap of history...? Or are you just thumping. I would like to see you do that clean, have no doubt you can.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a flatbed scanner, so here goes...

451300715_1ee36c4fd0.jpg

Liberty Ridge 1983

451300671_3c5eab1961_b.jpg

Mark Sheek on Lieback Route, Raven's Roost, VA --1975

451300677_8f2a69cd87.jpg

Your's truly on Bo Derek, Givler's Dome, Icicle Canyon @ 1979

451300667_ed198f5f97_o.jpg

Rigging a tyrolean from Rattlesnake Tower, Tumwater Canyon 1978 (Note US Army-issue "Greenline" rope)

451300761_bac86090ab_o.jpg

Lounging at Pavillion Campground, Seneca Rocks, WV 1978

Edited by Skeezix