Pictures From the Wayback Machine

EWolfe

And a handful of fun places that no longer exist:

St Helens Forsyth Glacier, June 1968

Original P2 Town Crier, Spring 1970

TC70.jpg

OK, so the glacier got turned to water vapor but what happened to the original second pitch of Town Crier? I can't be the only one who's curious?

And a handful of fun places that no longer exist:

St Helens Forsyth Glacier, June 1968

Original P2 Town Crier, Spring 1970

TC70.jpg

OK, so the glacier got turned to water vapor but what happened to the original second pitch of Town Crier? I can't be the only one who's curious?

The left side of that dihedral as seen in the pic fell off one winter eve. This was climbers right of the current P2 chimney.

The (disappearing into the jungle) "clearing" at and below the start of DH is what was smashed into oblivion by the rockfall.

BTW I wish I had a good photo of the monster overhang in the quarry area of LTW before it came down but I don't think I do.. Sent a wave of water up over the RR tracks.

Great shots, MisterMo. That one of Givler climbing the freeway crack is classic. He had quite the 'fro.

I wish I'd taken more pictures of the old Leavenworth days. At the time, when we were young and invincible, we thought those days would last forever. There was no need to take pictures because those people would always be there.... Not so, as it turned out.

The second pitch of the Town Crier used to be an absolute bomber 2" 5.8 handcrack behind a pillar. We all used to hammer pitons into it to protect the pitch. Little did we know how dodgy it was. We showed up in the spring to total devastation at the base of the Davis route.

Mt St Helens, Shoestring glacier, 1977

StHelens1977.jpg

shoestring.jpg

Midway rte, Castle Rock, 1977.

midway.jpg

This is now. Is the chimney getting more polished ? I'm not sure, it may have been smooth rock originally.

midway2.jpg

Peshastin - Trigger Finger, 1976

Peshastin1976.jpg

Thanks for the thread MisterE. I will always think of running into you at far away sunny crags, doing harder routes than I could ever do.

MisterE at Joshua Tree, 2005

JT_-_Hidden_Valley_meeting.JPG

christ, dissappear for a fawk'n day n' everyone starts misspelling yer fawk'n name!

mike n' i, on my first attempted ascent of yw sans guide did the first 2 1/2 pitches proper, then went stupid right just short of the pin anchors (my fault, but fawk, there's pins up that slab and seemed logical at the time! - i have no giddamn memory of what happened after that short of the memory of abject fear while wallowing through endless amounts of moss n' shit until i lead out, at least 2 pitches later after following some very hard shit mike did, on the last bit of rock w/ desperate holds requiring cleaning 3 or 4 inches of leaf and ant-shit - i whined a particuliar tune of bruce springstein that vouched safe my immortal soul and gave me the proper nubbin

in some ways, i prefer that first ascent of the proto-yw more than any other

Yeah, it isn't about who's having the most fun; it's who comes home with the most megapixels, which puts John Scurlock well out in front, but thanks for making a safe place for those of us who never did and never will understand how a camera works.

Pins, swami, goldline, and kronhofers:

MOONLIGHT.JPG

Doubled stoppers:

DOUBLEDSTOPPERS.JPG

The EB/Fire horizon:

BLOWNOUT.JPG

Here are a couple.

Grand Ledge, Michigan, with RR's and hand-tied diapers, 1973.

00grand.jpg

Pancake Pinnacle, North Cascades, 1977. Check out the axe!

Pancake.jpg

South Face of Washington Collumn, Yosemite, with painter's pants and hand tied etriers, 1979.

00wsh.jpg

Cairns, great shots! Give me a shout if you're still climbing and make it down to PDX sometime...

Boys, pony up sometime with just stoppers and hexs and give Blownout a whirl. I bet you'd have a whole new perspective of the climb. Maybe we should hold a 'RetroDay' and party afterwards this summer...