Pictures From the Wayback Machine

EWolfe

On 10/29/2018 at 6:22 AM, Off_White said:

Was there ever an ascent with just you, Brooks, and Heller?

A story was seperately related to me by the Daves about an attempt on the North Norwegian Buttress by two Daves and two Dons where a Mr Mastadon said "I don't know about you motherfuckers, but I'm going home".

Hahahaha! Fake news!!! Actually, not so fake, although mother and my home had nothing to do with this incident. I may have been heard to say, “I don’t know about you fuckers, but I’m going down”. Dave Anderson, Dave Davis, Don Brooks and I were attempting the Norwegian buttress in ‘74 or so. Donn Heller wasn’t along. I may have uttered that shocking statement after doing a horrendous half lead through an overhanging loose block section that no one else was willing to finish. 

So which one of those kids is a Tarver and which one is you? I met Annies brother John many moons ago. 

Here’s Anne in Tuolumne in 1980. The cowboys LOVED her....

AEA893B5-E450-416A-B140-AD9ECC008589.jpeg

2 hours ago, stillcrankin said:

Here’s Anne in Tuolumne in 1980. 

I was there.   I was hanging with Pat M,  Dan W, and Russell.   The four of us had to make an exodus when wh had overstayed our camping limit.  You had a really cool old Dodge PU with a camper.   

Edited by num1mc

I know it’s hard to believe but I don’t recognize you from that picture of you when you were 12 years old so you’re gonna have to tell me your name. You might even be in this hacky-sac circle next to the Tuolumne Meadows gas station. From right to left, Marko Milano, Eric Thixton (facing the other way), Rick LeDuc and three other Washingtonians.

765214F6-F4B9-4494-80FC-F90F672E4C1D.jpeg

Edited by stillcrankin

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t believe we never crossed paths in the 70’s, Mr Off_White. The Central Pillar is a proud climb-especially back then. 1977 wasn’t that long after the 1st ascent.

Here’s an old pic of MisterMo on Moby Dick Center in 1972. This is an old-school Yosemite crack that goes from 3/4” to 3-1/2”. I’m one of the proud few that can say I backed off this climb when I was 16 after I ran out of 3-1/2” bongs. 

6087880B-D3F1-4A5C-A33C-37EAD356BD49.jpeg

Edited by stillcrankin

Ho man, I can still viscerally recall the cottonmouth experienced leading Moby Dick center, probably also around summer of 77. Number 11 hex and the sound it made rotating on a couple of crystals that barely held it in place, nothing to do but try and summon some spit and keep going. I've never been a brilliant crack climber, so that route back then was a proud lesson in just sucking it up and getting it done. I might have backed off if I had any confidence in the gear I put in.