diet, mountaineering, and bogus rock climber?

Jens

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself going through some weight problems. Before I hurt myself I wasn't in super shape, but I could climb most things I wanted to. Now I'm trying to at least get back to where I was if not in better shape. My main problem is when I was climbing trees for work diet was never anything I ever thought about. Now-a-days my pants are kind of tight and my scale weight has gone up; I have seemed to have dropped a bit of fat percent, but it's still higher than I want it.

Exercise for me consists of strength training my physical therapist gave me. I have added in some pushups and sit-ups. I am getting better since I have mostly advanced from pushups from the knees to the regular kind (at least mostly). After that I go for walks. The highlight there is a set of stairs coming up from a lower street back to my neighborhood. I used to do 2 laps of this longer walk, but I got board with repeating the total distance, so now I just do several laps of stairs and only one long lap.

Can anyone suggest some additional exercises I should add to all this. Obviously due to my injury I can't do anything too crazy; for example I tried a pull-ups but that's not going to happen for a while.

Jen's thread got me thinking about my situation

I find myself going through some weight problems. Before I hurt myself I wasn't in super shape, but I could climb most things I wanted to. Now I'm trying to at least get back to where I was if not in better shape. My main problem is when I was climbing trees for work diet was never anything I ever thought about. Now-a-days my pants are kind of tight and my scale weight has gone up; I have seemed to have dropped a bit of fat percent, but it's still higher than I want it.

Exercise for me consists of strength training my physical therapist gave me. I have added in some pushups and sit-ups. I am getting better since I have mostly advanced from pushups from the knees to the regular kind (at least mostly). After that I go for walks. The highlight there is a set of stairs coming up from a lower street back to my neighborhood. I used to do 2 laps of this longer walk, but I got board with repeating the total distance, so now I just do several laps of stairs and only one long lap.

Can anyone suggest some additional exercises I should add to all this. Obviously due to my injury I can't do anything too crazy; for example I tried a pull-ups but that's not going to happen for a while.

Kurt, don't be so hard on yourself! You went through a traumatic injury, and you are not done healing. You have been a rock star!

I have found, though I am not comparing myself to you at all, that even though I can hobble around and walk that even though it looks as though I can do the stuff I did, that walking with crutches takes a lot out of me, I do not know when to stop until I am in a world of hurt. I am proud of myself for working so hard even though it is super frustrating because I just can't do shit.

I cannot give you any advice, you are doing really well though, you are good at healing.

When I was in the brace for a long time, after I got out I weighed myself and I was down to 105, which is strange because I looked fatter in the mirror than before, I am finally gaining muscle back, but it is hard to be patient and work slowly.

AlpineK...I don't know the extent of your injuries, but something that I learned as a gymnast (in my MUCH younger years) was to try to incorporate a little bit of training throughout the entire day.

Fast forward to today....I have two things that I've continued to do: isometric exercises during commercial breaks of my favorite TV show (I know, I know...TV is evil), and stretching when the phone rings. Commercial breaks are great because they last about 3-5 minutes, and you can work up to holding (ISO-metric) a push-up position or a wall-sit for the duration of the break. Try holding a push-up position with your hands in different positions too...way out in front, close to your waist, on your elbows instead of your hands, REALLY wide...anything! These are great for the core.

Lastly, every time that phone rings...let it be a reminder to stretch. Yep, get down on the floor, talk on the phone and reach for those toes. Or, work your balance by standing on one foot and holding the other one up.

It's all about the little things. Have fun with it.

Good luck.

:)

First of all, you look fine.

Second, maybe you can try some Pilates moves. They are isolated small movements and each set requires pretty high reps.

You might be aware that Messner, who use to be a kick-assed rock climber, one of the best in Europe, totally gave it up to focus on big mountains. He felt that the muscles he worked in rock climbing hindered him in the Mt's.

But he didn't have a job, just climbing.

Assuming his recent National Geographic article, and my memory for that matter, are accurate, Messner stopped rock climbing after getting frostbite in his toes while searching for his brother on some uber-high mountain. Hi-altitude stuff was just the only thing he could be the best in the world at after losing foot function.

Jens admit it. You just wanna be an anorexic/bulimic because you are lazy. If you trained harder you could eat more. That whole broccoli diet makes you climb harder shit is 80's and it just makes you sound old and past it when you spout it off now.

Fred Nicole + chesseburgers = V15.

Hey Kurt, get in the pool. There is all kinds of things that you can do in the pool that are safe, but still a good work out. When I was recovering from knee surgery, I was doing pool work outs even though I hate swimming. There is all kinds of resistance floats that you can be used. One I really liked, mainly cause I thought it was was funny as hell, was putting on a float belt strapped to the wall and float paddles on my hands and feet and running in the water. Kick board is also a really good work out as well. Also I would think that working out on Nautilus equipment would be pretty safe. Also it might be worth while to get some small dumbells for you walk, you know like the power walkers use, yeah I know ghey but at least it is something. Those recumbant cycle machine in the gym might work for an aerobic exercise that is low impact and pretty since you are seated.

Bicycling would be good, so you can get out and see more! I get bored when I do laps on stairs or in the pool. Biking will allow you to see more and the BG is just down the street from you...i think.

The BG is pretty close distancewise, but it's a long way down the hill to hook up with it. Just the trip down and back would be a burley hill climb; not that I shouldn't do that. I am a little wimpy about the hill though.

• 1 month later...

I think both Jens and AK would benefit from putting running into their workout programs. There's nothing on this green earth that will make you leaner, faster. If I could still run without pain I'd sure as hell do it. Jens you are always going to fight your body type with sport climbing, especially if you keep at the other sports. AK, you're a natural athlete so given a bit more time I bet it all comes back to you. As I recall, you were very lean before you got hurt, and it seems to me you told me you'd been running. Plus AK your outdoor pursuits reflect your body type. Jens, if you really want to get out of the .12s (why) then what else are you willing to sacrifice to make it so?