Dog from most recent Mt. Hood Accident

macmurtb

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to turn this into a witch hunt people.

Learn from others mistakes... we all make them... we are all human.

The much bigger concern here is access and how events like these can and likely will decrease ours. I hope you all are Access Fund members and are active within your climbing community including doing what you can to correct public opinion on MLUs (among other concerns currently affecting the climbing community)... write a letter to the editor, send an email, etc etc... it all helps!

normally i wouldn't choose to ramble online, but all the media attention from beyond the climbing community is really looking to have a negative impact on everyone - even competent, prepared indivuals who understand and live by the mountain's rules. MLUs will only encourage more gapers to jump into shit unprepared with the expectation of an escape hatch. if your incompetence affects my climbing life, then YOU SUCK!!!

every other culture and society on the planet understands that mountains are real, they kill people, and that you go there at your own risk. some of us go to great lengths to prepare ourselves and that, along with sound judgment and experience, is our safety margin. do not think that you can regulate,legislate or purchase safety in the mountains. it is a mistake. please just stay home and take up tennis instead.

Well said dude :tup:

They wouldn't have to return the collar to me. I would have already gone back up there and removed my trash from the mountain.

Bullshit. And you know it.

No I don't. I was bc skiing all day Saturday. It would have been very easy for me to get back up there the last two weekends. It would be a slog up of about 3 hours and a quick ski back down. Well worth going after my gear that I had left up there.

John and Marcus, once again, good on ya for sacrificing your bid on the infamous Spider to keep our mountains clean. Although, I am not so sure Layton didn't have something to do with detering y'all from your bid.

Here's the weirdest thing:

They were in an "emergency/rescue" situation, and they abandoned a bunch of gear! What kind of stuff did they bring along with them that was more useful laying on the snow than helping them keep warm/survive? If you were hunkering down, injured, in a storm for who-knows-how-long, would you just ditch a bunch of your gear? If it was that useless, why bring it?

They were in an "emergency/rescue" situation, and they abandoned a bunch of gear! What kind of stuff did they bring along with them that was more useful laying on the snow than helping them keep warm/survive? If you were hunkering down, injured, in a storm for who-knows-how-long, would you just ditch a bunch of your gear? If it was that useless, why bring it?

From Miss Velvet's site:

We had to rely on each other to deal with our current situation. We were back up on our feet and moving in about 20 minutes. Christina had a serious concussion and was completely disoriented. We tried putting her pack on her but she fell over several times. We discarded her pack and prepared to walk.

Good job John and Marcus. You'll get the Spider soon. :tup::brew:

Why dont you come to the fund raiser on the 29th and ask them yourselves.

Edited by kevbone

We carried out 2 dana design expedition sized packs each filled with gear (I carried one, marcus the other). Unless Cristina had 2 packs with her for the trip someone else ditched their gear.

Related to that talking with the owners it is my current understanding a third pack is still up there that Marcus and I did not find.

Would you have been able to do the route considering you got pinned down that night (not that you knew that at the time mind you)? If that's the case, maybe you can take solace by the fact you were fuck anyways...and it's all Wayne's fault and that stupid dog.

The much bigger concern here is access and how events like these can and likely will decrease ours. I hope you all are Access Fund members and are active within your climbing community including doing what you can to correct public opinion on MLUs (among other concerns currently affecting the climbing community)... write a letter to the editor, send an email, etc etc... it all helps!

Word. We all need to do our part to stop harmful legislation like this. If you need arguments for your letter to the editor/congressman, here's what PMR has to say on the topic:

http://www.pmru.org/pressroom/headlines/MLU&PLBStatement.html

• 3 weeks later...

John, Just thought everyone should know that it looks like we have put a stop to the Mt Hood beacon bill. Many concerned climbers and the mountain rescue community as a whole have been working hard to put a stop to this ill-conceived legislation.

I just got word this afternoon that it is very unlikely to make it out of the Senate committee. Self reliance and well practiced skills are the most important tools to take on a climb. Having the state make your check list is the antithesis of the sport of climbing.

I believe some of those packs were frozen solid when lassie and co. were found, hence were marked and left behind to pick up later. I think the climbers were planning to go back and get them (maybe waiting for a bad forecast?)

Additionally, several lines on the spider has been in since late December. Enough with the silly excuses and internet rants. Just return the packs and yell at them to their faces if that seems necessary.