khamsin 30?

gordon

Has anyone used the Arcteryx Khamsin 30? I am looking for a day pack of that size that climbs rock/ice well. Have looked at the BD Stone pack but it has no provision for attaching crampons (despite having two tool loops). My main concern is the fabric - is it burly enough to stand up to rock routes where it might get beat around a lot? I own several other Arcteryx packs and love 'em all (especially the Bora 40).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the Kashmin 50 for the last 2 seasons. It's held up quite well on rock and mixed routes. The compression straps are effective at pulling in any gear that I have left in the pack. The fabric has shown expected wear, but no tears or excessive worn spots. The fit is comfortable and there is enough adjustability to match a variety of people. The exterior pocket (removeable), is great for storing food or fits a Gregory Hydrocell perfectly.

The three things I am disappointed in are that there are: 1) no provision for attatching crampons, though something can be improvised with the integral daisy chain on the back and 2) while there are 2 ax loops, there is no upper attatchment point for the ax handles when the axes are being stored. Again, loops can be improvised. 3) there is no top compression strap for holding a rope across the top of the pack under the lid. I've not found a good improvised fix for this, but I'm considering taking it to a repair shop to see if they can sew something in.

don't have the khamsin, though i do have the nozone which is made from similar rip stop nylon. after a little less then a year of fair use. i have several holes in the pack from abrasion. the ripstop has done its job and not ripped anymore. i believe that the khamsin's are more of technical hiking pack where abrasion shouldn't be as a big a problem. lightweight fabrics equal lightwieght use. a note the nozone fabric is double layered so might be a little stronger. where as the the khamsin is not. these packs are great though i highly doubt that the pack will last the summer without extensive repairs.

either way spend YOUR money the way YOU see fit.

I tried on both the Khamsin and Nozone a couple of years ago and chose the Nozone of the two. The primary comfort difference that made me choose the Nozone was that the Khamsin's stays hit me in the back of the head when I looked up (as in gawking at routes). With a helmet on, it may be more awkward. I've been very pleased with the Nozone. The ripstop has worn well, only a couple of small holes. It has survived many approaches and day use, as well as bus and plane travel in Asia and Panama. I have not used it for alpine climbs, but it easily hauls a full trad rack, food and weather gear.

The k-30 is nothing like the k-50 (thank god), so you can ignore those responses, gord.

I got one super cheap while working at arcteryx and have used it daily for about a year. no durability problems yet. it climbs quite well, a great route day pack. for multi day trips I take out the framesheet and roll it up, put the framesheet flat on the back of a bigger pack and carry it that way, then put it back together again for summit daypack. works great but slightly heavier than a serratus genie, however its worth it to have the back protection of the framesheet.

still don't like the bungie cords for crampons but they work great to put a platypus in or stuff a jacket into when it gets hot.

if you want to carry a bit more stuff the k-38 is ok but its wider hipbelt can get in the way of a harness (as you probably have already noticed with the b-40), you might as well go with the nozone then!

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 04-24-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the lightweight climbing packs and simple daypacks made by Granite Gear. I have two of them and I think they are exceptionally well designed, very comfortable, and among the lightest available. Ospreys are another favorite brand. Arcteryx stuff is execllent too.