Overnighter(s) ruined

HikerBryan

Today I was hiking along the Eagle Creek near the Columbia River (TR to come later), when I returned to my car I found my window smashed in and my gear stolen. I am so bummed out, I had been so excited about hiking in a new area and setting up my new tent for the first time.

I had my gear in the back of my Subie under the curtain. The perp couldn't see what was under it but they sure wanted to find out, and they hit the jackpot. Here's what I lost:

Sierra Design Iota Tent

REI 20F Down Bag

Marmot Predator Jacket

OR Gore Tex Gaiters

Various gloves, mitts and hat

Full side zip weatherproof pants

Small daypack

They left my new ice axe, new sleeping pad, REI leather Gore Tex boots.

It appeared that they grabbed what they could reach and ran.

I know I shouldn't have left my stuff in my car, lesson learned on that front, but I wish I knew why my stuff keeps getting stolen, this is ridiculous, 2 car stereo's, a car and now most of my gear.

Aside from the new window I need, this has set me back around $800, I am so mad

With having no place to stay, and not enough cash for another round trip, I had to bail on 3 friends because of this. Darn it

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they smashed your window. In Squamish one night, some fool tried to pry the lock out of my door to get what I'd left in my car (an empty milk crate and a sweater, for crying out loud). Best way to avoid the problem is stuff all your gear in a camo bag and stash it in the woods. Also get an i-pod and a device that broadcasts a signal into your car radio. Take the i-pod with you (or stuff it up under your seat cover).

Bryan:

Sorry about the theft; that really sucks. I've been broken into three times (!), the first being the worst.

I was in high school, had just got back from a trip to Bonanza Peak, and lost everything. The gear I lost represented alot of work and finagling. Fortunately, my parents insurance covered it and I ended up with a new setup, (not as complete and not at complete cost.)

If you've got renter's insurance, it should cover it.

Hope your season improves!

dave

Where you parked at the actual trail head? There are signs there warning about the break ins, and suggest that you park by the campground or the fish hatchery since there are people there most of the time.

The car burglaries are so common at Eagle Creek, that I pretty much expect to see at least one car with a broken window at the trail head every time I go there. And I never park there either, I'll park somewhere else and walk in to the trail head.

Whats even worse, is that the Sheriff's Office knows about the problem, and simply don't have the resources to do anything about it. Some buddies of mine that have also been victims have considered staking out the parking lot to catch these people red handed, but nothing ever materialized. There is a gate on the road, we where just going to shut and lock the gate if we saw someone break into a car and then call the Sheriff...

I think you need to pull first.

I have started to take everything with me I need, stash the rest in the woods, and leave my truck unlocked when I go. I have a cheap stereo, so no worries there. Anyone else do this, or does it just sound crazy? I can't think of any other way, except that once when at a trailhead I saw someone leave a note that said, "Nothing of value in vehicle". Don't know if any of that helps, but I've never been broken into (besides outside my home).

On a ski traverse back a few years ago Jordop left a note with, "nothing of value in car," on the rig. We left it there for a week and when we skied back to it nobody had broke in. I don't know if that's just random luck or if the thief read the message.

Sorry bro….Eagle Creek is notorious for break-ins. It’s a shame being that it is one of the most scenic and beautiful places on the planet. I have hiked Eagle Creek several times without a break-in, but am scared to death every time I leave my car at the trail head. You should try parking farther down the road towards the freeway.

PS…..did you at least enjoy the hike?

Sorry to hear about your stuff Brian. That blows.

As for Frikadeller stating "Some buddies of mine that have also been victims have considered staking out the parking lot to catch these people red handed, but nothing ever materialized. There is a gate on the road, we where just going to shut and lock the gate if we saw someone break into a car and then call the Sheriff.."

I just want to throw in a reality check. Sounds great, until you realize the Sheriff won't be there for twenty minues while the guys you locked in beat the tar out of you.

At some trail heads I feel safer leaving all my extra stuff stashed in the woods than in my car. And just to leave some advice, why do you think the thieves keep breaking into cars at trailheads? Becuase there is booty in the car. If the thieves drove out there a dozen times and each time found every car empty, they would find a new target. But next time you go to trailhead take a casual glance into the cars; ipods on the seats, cell phones on the dash, Oakley sunglasses, tons of back packs containing who knows what goodies, etc. You get the point.

That's a good point (about not leaving stuff in the car). Maybe if this summer we all do that as well as leave a note saying there is nothing of value in the car at E38, we might make a little progress there.

And Frikadeller is a Viking, so he gets a little slack for the attack plan--it's just in his blood. ;)

New Yorkers have been dealing with radio car thefts for a long time. Starting back in the 80s folks would not replace their stolen radio and leave a note on the car "No Radio". Sometimes they still got broken into with the thieves leaving a "Just checking" in response.

This has been a problem as long as there have been trailheads and will continue to be a problem. I don't know of any solution other than getting dropped off at the trailhead.

I never leave my wallet in the car; it comes with me. I no longer buy an after-market radio for my car; the stock radio doesn't seem to be the thief magnet that an after-market radio is. When you are on a road trip you are SOL since you have to leave your camping gear, toys that you aren't using (e.g. skis while you are cragging). You have to hope for the best.

There are some threads on turns-all-year about parking problems up in Squamish area where the perps are torching the vehicles. Ouch! That hurts!

just want to throw in a reality check. Sounds great, until you realize the Sheriff won't be there for twenty minues while the guys you locked in beat the tar out of you.

Oh I am not worried about them beating the tar out of me... As Archenemy stated correctly, I am Viking by decent, I thrive for battle. A crew of cranked out methheads do not scare me.

Bummer to hear. Sad but true in today's meth-driven world. There are folks on both sides of the river who pretty much make a living driving each side of the Gorge a couple of times a day hitting all the main parking lots. Nowhere is safe: Dog Mountain, Beacon, Eagle Creek - they're all major targets. Don't leave anything - zilch, nada, nothing - in sight in a vehicle. Better yet don't leave anything period.

i have climbed many places on the west coast year after year and i have gotten more shit stolen in oregon & washington in any other states. you don't happen to have any bumper stickers on your vehicle that tell any tales do you?

Don't leave anything - zilch, nada, nothing - in sight in a vehicle. Better yet don't leave anything period.

This is sound advise!!

One time I brought an out-of-state aquaintance for a backpacking trip through eagle creek to ttanner butte, and when we arrived at the parking lot at 7am on a weekday, there where four cars with broken windows. As we traveled along the trail, we asked at each camp if they drove X-type of car to let them know that they would find a small suprise. I found the kids that owned one of the cars. He asked me if they got into his trunk, and I said yes (because the theifs pulled the seats apart and made access to the trunk area) and the kid said that they most likely stole his laptop. A LAPTOP? WTF did you bring along a laptop computer to a hiking trip? The kids where from Portland to boot. Leave that crap at home!!!

As long as there people that store valuable in their cars parked at a TH for several days, the theives will be there.

i have climbed many places on the west coast year after year and i have gotten more shit stolen in oregon & washington in any other states. you don't happen to have any bumper stickers on your vehicle that tell any tales do you?
That's because there are more meth addicts in the Northwest. There is more drug abuse here than in any place in the country.

just want to throw in a reality check. Sounds great, until you realize the Sheriff won't be there for twenty minues while the guys you locked in beat the tar out of you.

Oh I am not worried about them beating the tar out of me... As Archenemy stated correctly, I am Viking by decent, I thrive for battle. A crew of cranked out methheads do not scare me.

:tup: I'm with you. Directly related to Gorm den Gamle. It's my only claim to fame ;)

That's because there are more meth addicts in the Northwest. There is more drug abuse here than in any place in the country.

Dude. Have you ever been to smalltown Nevada?

• 2 weeks later...

:tup: I'm with you. Directly related to Gorm den Gamle. It's my only claim to fame ;)

gorm01.gif

Huh, I never had problems in the Gorge. Even in a Mercedes with CA plates.

They probably avoided you because of the car and the plates made them think you where a coke dealer with mafia ties....

Or ya just havent been to the gorge enough times...

On the news tonite they where talking about how over 30 car breakins where reported this week, and I think that was just M-Falls area...