Plastic boots

Griff

I've been climbing with 20 year old single-layer mountaineering boots ("top of the line...in 1981"), but I'm thinking of getting my first pair of plastic boots. On Rainier last summer, my feet got cold and I was envious of everyone else in camp with their inner boots on, while I had a choice of boots or socks.

Right now, my focus is general mountaineering (the volcanos and some alpine-type climbing), but I rarely get onto really steep ice. I don't want to rule out the possibility of sections of steep alpine ice, but I doubt I will be climbing water ice anytime soon.

I have been looking at the Scarpa Invernos and the Kolflach Degres. I like the stiffness of the Invernos, but worry about comfort on approaches and medium-angle snow. I like the flexibility of the Degres, but worry about whether they have the stiffness needed for steeper ice I might start climbing in the future.

Am I hoping for too much in one boot? Or maybe I just worry too much. Any advice would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Griff (edited 04-18-2001).]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen many people, the wife included, climb steep water ice in the degres with no problem.

The bigest difference you will find between the boots is the warmth. The degres are fine for most anything around the cascades and SA. The Invernos have a reputation, earned, for being one of the warmest boots, next to the Artis Expedition that is.

Degres are also more economical than the Invernos.

If you are Cascade kind of guy with summer approaches, degres are a good choice. Though by July and through September you will want your leathers back.

Both are very good boots.

Good luck...

Griff,

I am sure the degres would be fine for what you want them for. I was climbing waterfall ice in the older Koflach viva softs this past ice season and even Makalus.. I have investigated the degres and thought about buying a pair and they are a step above for sure.

Ray

What or where is Barrabes? I wouldlove to know where I could find plastic boots for $125. For the money I would get the Degrees, even thought I think the Scarpa is better.

When you think about it, you have to have at least two boots. A general boot for summer and easy quick stuff, and a hardcore boot for winter and long hauls. To me it seems that having a boots that fit the wides range is best. That's why I like the Scarpa for the hardcore and I'm still thinking about a new general boot.

Has anyone tested the Technica Altitude? I would like your input.

JIMI

Koflach, get the vertical (yellow) not the degre (red). a bit stiffer, better for ice, but super comfy and awesome for alpine too. you can even suppodsedly buy a "rock shoe" type optional inner boot for big alpine routes....

I have had mine for 1.5 years and climbed everything from 36 hour snow slogs to WI 5 in them and have no complaints except that they took a few months to break in for long walking. first ice season approaching was a bit clunky but since they broke in they feel like heaven on my feet.

Barrabes is a mountain shop in Spain. It has been discussed elsewhere on this site, but check out www.barrabes.com/barrabes/homedept.asp They do have some very good prices for European equipment. It changes slightly depending on the exchange rate, but the prices are always good. I have ordered from them before and gotten good service, but of course there is a risk: returns would be difficult.

As a matter of fact, I already ordered some Degre boots from them, along with some crampons. (I had pretty much decided on getting them when I posed my question yesterday; the first few answers set my mind at ease about the flexibility). The base price for the boots was $129.74. Charlet-Moser S-12 crampons ran $77.37, with $16.03 for anti-balling plates. Shipping was $39.94 for all of that (that adds up to $263.08)

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

[This message has been edited by Griff (edited 04-19-2001).]

Griff,

Degres are hard to beat for the money...

JIMI,

I actually tested the Tecnica altitude a couple of years ago. It was an uninsulted version. I really liked the overall performance. At the time they had a severe problem with the sole delaminating. However that has been fixed.

I would say the insulated version essentially replaces plastics for all but the coldest climates. Good for the volcanos, ice-climbing, etc., but not really for expeditions or true winter mountaineering.

Overall a good bit, a bit a a niche application boot that CAN be stretched to do other things.

On my foot Tecnica builds the most comfortable boots.

Good luck

------------------

Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note for those of you interested in Barrabes. I got my order on Friday(there was a delay when my credit card company thought the order was from Barbados and refused to pay). Once again, everything was as promised for the prices I listed above. Kinda makes you wonder how long this can last...

[This message has been edited by Griff (edited 04-30-2001).]

JIMI - I tested the Technica Altitude in Ouray this year. In the two hours I climbed with them they were warm and dry. They were easy to lace and I had my heel locked down just right and I didn't even crush my foot. They seemed fairly waterproof (of course they were new). It isn't a plastic boot so others looking on this thread might not be interested.

Oh, I thought they ran a little narrow but I have am a size 8.5 or 9 and have had my share of fit problems.