Milk runs at vantage

rob

I might be heading to vantage this weekend or next with an inexperienced friend, and I'm looking for some easy (~5.6) trad routes with good protection. A friend suggested Green Wall. Any other good spots?

Guide book recommendations?

TIA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go to Green Wall. There is a great deal of loose rock on all those routes. You can't just go by ratings in a book. They are a lot more serious than the ratings would suggest. Even the best of those, which sees the most ascents, Hand Jive, 5.8, has a lot of loose rock (even by Vantage standards).

As if the loose rock were not enough there is lots of that ubiquitous yellow-green lichen carpeting all smearable surfaces. Also, none of the routes have permanent anchors and frequently there isn't even a decent crack on the mesa top with which to build an anchor.

Try these routes:

Chapstick, 5.6, Near Gully #2 at the Tilted Pillars of Sunshine

Crack in the Back, 5.6, Kotick Memorial Wall

Big Black Rooster, 5.5, Hen House Wall

Edge of Mistakes, 5.6, ZigZag Wall

Seven Virgins and a Mule, 5.7, Sunshine

Shady Chimney, 5.7 (Offwidth to Chimney), Sunshine

Strokin' the Chicken, 5.6, Sunshine

Don't do Strokin' the Chicken until you have done all the others first, because it is scarier than the rest of them, and a little harder, despite the rating.

If you do SVAAM, Shady, or Strokin' be prepared to build your own anchor. The others have chain anchors.

I have some loose relatives, now that you mention it...

Vantage is loose if you're used to granite, but on the well-traveled routes, it's generally fine. Wear a helmet, don't be dumb, watch out for the other climbers (or folks hiking along the gravel-strewn rimrock above) and you'll improve your chances tremendously...

It changes so fast they can't keep up.

You can drill faster than they can type.

A helmet is a great idea over there. Also set up your belays so that the belayer can dodge meteorites. This has been advantageous a couple of times.

Thanks for the tips CBS. I will have my girls over there this weekend or next.

Take a couple of big pieces on "Stoken", and I agree with CBS that it should not be your first route. 7 Virgins is a fine climb and well protected- just pretend it's 5.6. Green Wall is crap and rarely climbed.

I have climbed at Vantage at least 100 days and have never experienced a broken hold. Okay, I have, but I haven't been hurt and as long as you belay off to the side from the climb and pay attention or avoid the lower cliff walls when a lot of people are climbing/walking above you'll be fine.

I still get a kick out of all the people who say Vantage is loose and then go alpine with all of its typical looseness and etc.