Mr_Phil

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I liked this quote

Sitting at home or in an office doing work seemed like such a boring existence," he said. "Why would you not want to be out in the real world? Out in the mountains?"

well I geuss the first thing I need to do is become and heir to some giant almond factory...hahaha

Good on ya

Haley, a 22-year-old student at the University of Washington, will soon be spending spring break in Alaska, risking his neck in search of new climbing routes in the rugged mountains surrounding Anchorage.

:brew: Awesome... I look forward to seeing what he pulls down. Conditions are good!!!

Well, I had a feeling I'd be catching some crap for this one! It seems my professors in the Geology Department weren't aware of my reason for switching majors...

In general I am skeptical about the ability of non-climbers to do reporting on climbing stories because usually they get everything horribly wrong. That being said, I thought this article was very well done for a non-climber, although certainly overly flattering. Several quotes are a bit inaccurate, although I suppose that is simply the nature of media, where everything must be compressed to simplified format.

A few clarifications:

I have not claimed to climb a new route on Cerro Torre. We climbed a new link-up, but NO NEW TERRAIN, which is pretty important distinction from a first ascent.

I'm really curious to find out what the "Brown & Haley Almond Roca fortune" is? I'm guessing that was a joke of my mom's that was taken seriously. My great grandfather was one of the founders of Brown & Haley candy, but our "fortune" consists of a gift candy basket once a year. Without a doubt, my parents' support has been essential for me - without it I would basically have to decide between getting a college degree or climbing, and with their help I am somewhat able to do both (just barely...). The quote about sitting in an office was out of context - I was basically trying to say that I need something else in life besides just the standard routine (something that I think everyone on this board agrees with). It amazes me that most of my college peers don't really do anything except the same routine over and over: Go to class, do homework, get drunk and hit on chicks... REPEAT one thousand times...

I have no hesitation about becoming a sponsored athlete, and in fact I am a sponsored athlete. What I meant to convey is that I never want my sponsorship commitments to influence my personal relationship to climbing.

Rob has no plans to work for RMI. He recently got a job with Alpine Ascents.

Anyways, I don't mean to be nit-picking on the article because I think the reporter did a very good job understanding climbing. I just thought I should clarify things for those of you who have more insight into the climbing world.

OK, when the groupies and sports-cars arrive!? ;)

"Brown & Haley Almond Roca fortune"

You and Jed started your own candy company??? :confused:

How nice.

OK, when the groupies and sports-cars arrive!?

When you have a chance, I would like an autographed gift basket of Almond Roca. And your dirty socks from FitzRoy. :noway:

Yeah, you can see where the writer's hyperbole kicks in, no big deal, it's a decent article, and a rare chance for you to make clarifications to the small audience who will notice the funny bits.

Pity about your lost fortune, though I think most here would agree you're most fortunate indeed. I think you should have named that route on Moffit "Almond Roca" so you would have Brown & Haley's Almond Roca as the full reference to the route.

I hope you'll be around on April 1st for the Sausagefest and able to share a few pics. Have fun in Alaska. :tup:

It amazes me that most of my college peers don't really do anything except the same routine over and over: Go to class, do homework, get drunk and hit on chicks... REPEAT one thousand times...

It's good to hear this from someone else. College life was fun for the first month or so, but most of friends are still doing just that after a year or two of doing nothing else. I haven't met anyone at my college who understands why I would rather go climbing every weekend than go to the same party that I have been to 100 times. Hats off to you for not getting distracted by books and booze. :brew: is way better after a weekend in the mountains anyway.

Rob has no plans to work for RMI. He recently got a job with Alpine Ascents.

Anyways, I don't mean to be nit-picking on the article because I think the reporter did a very good job understanding climbing. I just thought I should clarify things for those of you who have more insight into the climbing world.

Alpine Ascents? Do you mean to say there are guide services in Washington besides RMI?

[it's good to hear this from someone else. College life was fun for the first month or so, but most of friends are still doing just that after a year or two of doing nothing else. I haven't met anyone at my college who understands why I would rather go climbing every weekend than go to the same party that I have been to 100 times. Hats off to you for not getting distracted by books and booze.

When you grow older and wiser and find yourself still taking off every weekend to go climbing and quitting jobs every 3 years so you can take that much needed 3 month vacation you will look back on college and wonder why you didn't take the time to hook up with more chicks.

[it's good to hear this from someone else. College life was fun for the first month or so, but most of friends are still doing just that after a year or two of doing nothing else. I haven't met anyone at my college who understands why I would rather go climbing every weekend than go to the same party that I have been to 100 times. Hats off to you for not getting distracted by books and booze.

When you grow older and wiser and find yourself still taking off every weekend to go climbing and quitting jobs every 3 years so you can take that much needed 3 month vacation you will look back on college and wonder why you didn't take the time to hook up with more chicks.

I doubt that I will ever regret going climbing over going these parties. The party crowd at my school consists of about five guys to every girl, and with a few exceptions it is really the same party each weekend. I have found that the ratio is for some reason reversed at Valentines Day parties though. :tup: Really though at most parties I can't out talk the other guys, so pretty much all I have going for me is the occasional "you climb mountains? Thats awesome!"