REI Pinnacle pack; any opinions?

Kevin_Matlock

Looked at this yesterday. Seems pretty feature-rich and perfect for a day climb (probably could swing a single night in a pinch).

Besides all the bells and whistles, anybody have any experience with this pack's reliability? Just wondering how long it will last. Not worried about the "return factor" since it IS, after all, REI. I'm just wondering if I should expect this pack to blow out mid-climb. Would like to know before plunking down my hard-earned 20%-off membership coupon!

Any other impressions?

REI Pinnacle Pack

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing about this pack. It looks like a good pack for sub-$100. Any input would be great. Thanks...

Looked at this yesterday. Seems pretty feature-rich and perfect for a day climb (probably could swing a single night in a pinch).

Besides all the bells and whistles, anybody have any experience with this pack's reliability? Just wondering how long it will last. Not worried about the "return factor" since it IS, after all, REI. I'm just wondering if I should expect this pack to blow out mid-climb. Would like to know before plunking down my hard-earned 20%-off membership coupon!

Any other impressions?

REI Pinnacle Pack

I just sucked it up yesterday; figured I'd give it a whirl and return it if it didn't last.

Used my 20% it ran me only $79! :tup:

One of my issues was that they only had a single med size the first day I went and look... I wanted a large. Having the chick at the counter look up their stock didn't do me a bit of good since she said that's all they had.

After I went yesterday to pick that med one up I found a few more including a large! The lesson here is it pays to look around no matter what their system claims.

I saw this pack in the store today; seems pretty damn decent, especially for the price. Personally, I've found REI packs to be pretty comfy, and my all-time favorite, most used pack is an REI pack that I've had since about 1987. Maybe they did things differently back then, but that pack has been through hell and keeps on a truckin'. Still my fave, but it's getting VERY tired.

The Pinnacle is comfy and all it's special stuff works great.

However, they don't seem to have nailed the craftsmanship yet on this new pack as I've already been through one because of a strap pulling out of the stitching when I tightened the lid during my second tour in it. When I returned it they seemed surprised, and said no one else had that problem yet. But they also said it's a new pack and might not have gotten all the 'problems' worked out yet.

My replacement looks like it's about to do the same thing. If so, I think it'll be time for something else...REI replacement or not.