mt adams in winter

godskid5

we were wanting to climb the mazama glacier route on adams this coming weekend. just wondering if anyone could tell me what the access to the south side of the mountain is like. is it even possible to hike in a climb in two days this time of year? how long of an approach is it going to be? the forest service site says the campgrounds are closed, what would the closest road be we could take?

or should we head to hood instead? weather permitting of course!

thanks

dave

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been up there at this time of year before. If you are actually from SW Washington, you will remember that we had snow down low just last week. We had 8.5" here at 1200 feet.

So, you will hit snow right out of Trout Lake. I would say a two day summit will not be possible without skis. On skis you can get to timberline or so (7000 feet) in a day. From there it depends on the snow.

Sometimes it is scoured ice with big areas of deep snow that you flounder in even with skis. It will be a lot of work.

Weather is not looking to good for anything. Will you be using skis to get into Adams? I might be interested in joining for a winter assent. 2 days seems a bit tight for time for any climb of Adams in winter with out a sled. You could opt for a 48 hr climb. That might make it, but having skis will get you out much faster as well as a quicker approach times (even faster than snowshoes).

great pics gary! private plane or commercial?

yeah, sounds like adams is going to have to wait a few months. we'll try it when the trailheads open up.

what is a good, close (within 100 miles or so) winter summit. we're are longtime backpackers, and rock climbers, and scramblers, but newer to the mountaineering. we all have basic glacier, and some rescue experience. hoping to work up to some big, technical summits eventually

only have 2 days, including drive time.

and we were planning on snowshoeing in.

Edited by godskid5

If this is your first volcano, do St. Helens. You can leave the rope, harness and helmet at home unless you want the practice climbing with them.

You can snowshoe right to the top. Well, I haven't done that, but I have skinned right to the top, and have seen people on them at the top.

The Adams trailhead will open around July 4 in a normal year. Just some piles of snow in the road for a month or so before that.

i did the south ridge of south sister in october. also went up st helens acouple weeks ago. turned back a few hundred feet above snow line though. got up there late, and very low visiblity.

this weekend the snow levels supposed to be up to 8000ft, which is almost to the summit of st helens, so we will go elsewhere. probably hood and just head up towards irock and back. just get a little climbing in above the rain!

• 2 weeks later...

I went up last month. we started at the base on the 8 thousand something road. Most of the snowmobilers take off from this route. Anywho Bill, the guy I went with, owns CMR the climbing store down there and we took dogsleds to the base of the lava flow. From there skinned in on the skies. Conditions were great. the snow was hard packed. Anywho for more info on conditions or for getting gear just get a hold of Bill at his store. store number 509 395 3620.