The Last Season

Wopper

I am reading the book "The Last Season" about a Ranger that went missing in Sequoyah/Kings Canyon National Park in 1996. On the cover there is a picture of a guy on a trail next to a cliff with what appears to be a via ferrate(sp?) cable. I have never been to the Sierra and was curious if there are actual via ferrate's set up? In particular are there any in Sequoyah/Kings Canyon National Park? FWIW, the book is pretty interesting.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, he was never found. It was a big mystery.

I'll spoil it. He wasn't found alive, anyway. It's speculated he drowned while trying to make a river crossing. Body found in 2001. http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/public-lands/national-parks/randy-morgenson.html

As far as a via ferrata in the Sequoia-King's Canyon area goes, you might have better success by throwing it out to the folks on supertaco. You may even find someone there who knew Randy Morgenson personally.

"How much did it cost the taxpayers to go and find the lost Ranger??"

A lot. The book does not put a cost on the search or even bring up the subject but the initial search last 8 or 9 days with massive resources going towards it. His remains were found 5 years later by some California Conservation Corps volunteers that were hiking on their day off.

Edited by Wopper