Pickets Traverse, Summer 2007

Steph_Abegg

Hi. I'm looking for a partner (or partners) to do a traverse of the Pickets this summer, preferably in July. The traverse is long and strenuous, perhaps in the most rugged part of the North Cascades, and has several peaks to climb along the way. It would be nice to get together a group of 4 capable climbers for this trip.

410443530_ac699ac6f5_b.jpg

The Southern Pickets from near Mt. Triumph (photo by Gregg Brickner)

410656380_56e11a73e8_o.jpg

Challenger and the Northern Picket area from Easy Ridge (photo by Steph Abegg in July 2005).

Depending on interest, there are 3 options:

(1) Northern Pickets Traverse (Challenger, Luna, Fury, Crooked Thumb, etc), 5-7 days depending on how many peaks we climb, weather, route-finding, approach/de-approach, etc. (I've read some trip reports for up to 8 days on the traverse.)

(2) Southern Pickets Traverse (McMillan Spires, Terror, Inspiration, Blob, etc), 5-7 days maybe, but would be more if we climb every peak (VI, 5.10+)...

(3) Complete Pickets Traverse (must dos: Mt. Challenger, North buttress of Fury, North buttress of Terror, Inspiration Peak, West McMillan Spire), ~7-10 days maybe (7 days possible, but 10 days more ideal since this trip is too sweet to rush)...

I would love to do the entire traverse. A great trip report (by Aidan Haley, Theron Welch, and Michael Stanton):

http://www.mountainwerks.org/cma/2004/pickets/index.html

The north buttresses of Fury and Terror look pretty sweet! Should be an amazing traverse!

A little about me in case you might be interested in spending several days in my company. I'm 24, but because of my parents' love for the mountains, I started mountaineering, backpacking, and climbing at an early age; I have done extended trips in the Alps, the Sierras, the Rockies, the Olympics, and the North Cascades. I am strong, determined, and always bring at least 1 (usually 2) cameras on my trips. I like oatmeal and peanut M&Ms.

If you are interested in doing a Pickets traverse this summer, and like me are looking for an available and capable and experienced partner, please email me at sabegg@gmail.com.

Happy Climbing!

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on interest, there are 3 options:

(1) Northern Pickets Traverse (Challenger, Luna, Fury, Crooked Thumb, etc), 5-7 days depending on how many peaks we climb, weather, route-finding, approach/de-approach, etc. (I've read some trip reports for up to 8 days on the traverse.)

(2) Southern Pickets Traverse (McMillan Spires, Terror, Inspiration, Blob, etc), 5-7 days maybe, but would be more if we climb every peak (VI, 5.10+)...

(3) Complete Pickets Traverse (must dos: Mt. Challenger, North buttress of Fury, North buttress of Terror, Inspiration Peak, West McMillan Spire), ~7-10 days maybe (7 days possible, but 10 days more ideal since this trip is too sweet to rush)...

I would love to do the entire traverse. A great trip report (by Aidan Haley, Theron Welch, and Michael Stanton):

http://www.mountainwerks.org/cma/2004/pickets/index.html

The north buttresses of Fury and Terror look pretty sweet! Should be an amazing traverse!

A group of 2 or 4 is fine with me.

I would prefer to do the traverse in July, since I'm heading to the Bugaboos in August. There is a chance I might have a week in late August, but July is better for me.

Email me (sabegg@gmail.com) or leave me a message if you are serious about it.