"The Mankford Files" 3-3

crazy_t

Did a short tour this early am up at Snoqualmie Pass. I know, it was warming up today as expected but figured by getting up early there would be at least less "wet" conditions and the chance to "Garner" a few deep but heavier turns. Well, it's deep up there, and now it's all very heavy and wet. Rain crust from the trailhead on top of progressively worsening mank. Luckily, the tree-bomb minefield in the timber provided true excitement as things warmed up. Gave real motivation to get higher, and into the open, where it just wasn't any better. Skied out, shifted into health nut mode with chicken fried steaks, eggs, and chocolate pancakes at the waffle house, "enjoying" the view of the light rain outside.

The snow, at least in the lower elevations of the pass, is now kind of toast until the next cold cycle. Witnessed many natural release loose slides, mainly in the top layers, but as it warms today I would anticipate some big slides, and the tree bombs, as heavy and big as they are, could be a real hazard. Not a great day for backcountry, more like the classic "veritable buffet of crap conditions". It was still nice to be outside, but I'll be waiting for better conditions before heading out to ski again.

Edited by crazy_t

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic